Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj1212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 05:27 PM
    cracks in the house, how many more days to go
    We bought this 1985 built townhouse in June 2009, got painting and carpet change.Recently, lot of cracks getting developed in the house and seems like they are increasing day by day.I don't remember if they were already there before we bought(but its very likely).Here are the pics
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=963223809112%3A670232619&cm_mmc=sit e_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_button
    Please can anyone suggest ,Is it something to really worry about? How many years can we still live in the house as I am planning to sell it off in 2 years anyway. Will it last 2 years? I am really worried advice.
    I have a 2 year old DD, I am really worried for her.
    I don't hear any cracking sound though.
    ajmahesh12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 07:46 AM
    No response.. no experts here?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 09:32 AM

Nothing to worry about. The cracks along the counter top tell me someone did a poor job of caulking and maybe did not use the correct caulk. The counter needs to be scraped and cleaned with acetone before recaulking. The stair case shows some stair movement which is not uncommon. I would put in at least 2 screws per step horizontally into the side plate but it still may flex. Is the area below the stairs open to like the basement?
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

Remember wood expands and contracts winter it drys out so it contracts summer it is humid it expands
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 03:56 PM

I agree with Bob, nothing to really worry about. As Bob said scrape and clean caulking around counter top and re-caulk using a flexible caulk like Dap tub and tile caulk.
    The stair riser looks like a large gap was fill with a cheap caulk that has hardened and cracked. I would chip out all the old caulk and re-caulk with a good grade of caulk that remains flexible. Since all caulk shrinks when it dries, caulk and let it dry for about a month then caulk again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I started my period 2 days after unprotected sex, It only lasted 2 1/2 days. [ 6 Answers ]

I know I've already asked if I could be pregnant because I started my period only 2 days after having sex. I've gotten feed back and that reassured me, but the weird thing is my period only lasted 2 days. I started on Tuesday morning and by late thursdy night I was already finished, which isn't...

When dose the ten days start and what days do they count on bad check over 3500 in mo [ 3 Answers ]

I have a check that I given to a car dealer two months ago and he held for me because I had no money in the account and on the 2 of dec I got a ten day letter from state of mo saying the were going to put out a warrant I have not driven the car it is sitting the funds that I was to get have not...

Can you be on house arrest longer than 90 days [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend was placed on house arrest on May 11th, he was originally told for 90 days. As of today he still has it on him, now he has failed 2 UA's and I think this is the reason why its still on. But if that is the reason isn't is PO suppose to inform him of the extension?:confused:

How many cracks are normal in a new house? [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 5 years old and 98% of all my door casings are separating at the both corners- several of the windows are separating and the fire place is also separating - by separating I mean there is now a small gap. I am worried that the house may have a structural issue.

View more questions Search