Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hjp913 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 07:58 AM
    1997 Dodge Intrepid fuel pump & fuel filter
    Where is the in line fuel filter located and can the fuel pump be replaced by removing the rear seat?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:03 AM

I used to own a 1997 Dodge Intrepid. Great car. I remember replacing the fuel filter once. It was in the engine compartment just in front of the firewall, if I remember correctly. Removing the rear seat won't help you out.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:11 AM

The design of the filter for your car looks like it will be under the car, probably in front of the right rear wheel. I've never seen a bad modern-day electrical fuel pump, even though I know many people replace them thinking they have failed. My experience is that the problem usually involves a blown fuse, bad relay or ignition switch, corrosion on a connection, poor ground, or a failed ECM.

Test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

If you can hear the fuel pump run, when the igntion switch is turned to ON, it is likely OK.

Try jumping the fuel pump, prior to replacing it, to first determine if it works. Here's a link that may help you diagnose the situation, even though it was written for Hondas:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523
    RUSTYSHACKLEFOR Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 11:47 PM

It may not have a replaceable filter. Dodge started using returnless fuel systems in the early 90's and also put the fuel filter right on the fuel sending unit. Early models had a filter on top of the sender requiring removal of the tank to get at or on the bottom of sender INSIDE the tank. The thinking was since fuel is not constantly being circulated through a filter, up to the engine, and back to the tank the filter won't get plugged as quick so dodge considers the filter a LIFETIME part. If the filter is in the tank you need to replace the entire pump/sending unit assembly
    RUSTYSHACKLEFOR Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Also if you need to pull the pump there is an access panel in the trunk to get at it. If you can here the pump run it by no reason means its good. A pressue gauge and ammeter are the correct way of testing. Pumps fail a number of different ways. You need correct pressure and volume for the enging to run right. Pumps electrically and mechanically fail all the time. Fuses just don't blow because they got old. It blew for a reason.
    jefe223 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Wrong! Nice try though. Fuel filter is located rear passenger side frame rail. By gas tank underneath the rear passenger door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel pump or fuel filter? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have a buick lesabre 1992 I just bought it a couple days ago. It was acting funny and we thought it was the transmission well it turns out there was NO transmission fluid in it so we put about 7 quart in it and that problem went away. But there is still another problem, when you...

1997 prizm with new fuel injector and fuel pressure regulator keeps flooding [ 1 Answers ]

My 1997 Prizm ran well until 1 1/2 months ago. One day during several weeks of wet weather, I was stopped at an intersection and the car stalled. It took several minutes of retrying and it finally started. I drove it home and put a can of dry gas into the fuel tank. It would no restart. A...

Where is fuel filter on a 2006 kia rio not the fuel pump that is in gas tank [ 3 Answers ]

where is fuel filter located on a 2006 kia rio

Fuel filter on a 1997 honda civic lx [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the fuel filter? Any tips

Where is the fuel filter on a 1992 dodge spirit? [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to find the fuel filter on our 1992 dodge spirit.

View more questions Search