Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 06:55 AM
    New Tarmac Law
    Hello:

The feds just passed a law that says an airline can't keep passengers on the tarmac longer than three hours if the flight is delayed...

Prior to this, apparently the crew could keep their passengers "captive" for as long as they wanted... If it was ME, and a crew did that, I would have opened one of the emergency doors to leave WHEN I wanted to.

Would they have put me in the slam if I did that? What crime would I have been guilty of? Would keeping me against my will constitute unlawful imprisonment, or even kidnapping?

excon
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 06:59 AM
    The feds just passed a law that says an airline can't keep passengers on the tarmac longer than three hours if the flight is delayed...

Prior to this, apparently the crew could keep their passengers "captive" for as long as they wanted... If it was ME, and a crew did that, I would have opened one of the emergency doors to leave WHEN I wanted to.

Would they have put me in the slam if I did that? What crime would I have been guilty of? Would keeping me against my will constitute unlawful imprisonment, or even kidnapping?

And you would have been arrested and spent the night in jail. It's a violation of FCC regulations. On an airplane, the captain is GOD. You would not be able to claim "unlawful imprisonment" because you voluntarily purchased your ticket, and in doing so you agreed to be bound by FCC regulations. Kidnapping? Don't be silly.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:11 AM

I've been stuck on the tarmac for 5 hours before. I have also spent a night in jail. Seriously, No BS, if I had to pick one I would pick the night in jail again.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    On an airplane, the captain is GOD. You would not be able to claim "unlawful imprisonment" because you voluntarily purchased your ticket,
    Hello P:

Thanks for your answer. I don't disagree that that's what would happen to me...

However, let me ask you this. Seeing as how the captain is GOD, is there ANY length of time that he could have held his passengers, BEYOND which would have been considered unlawful?

I suspect there is.

If so, how many hours/days/weeks would it be? If there IS a LIMIT, it would be an arbitrary limit, and could be moved any direction the arbiter wanted to move it. Wouldn't that be true?

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 04:53 PM

I don't fly any longer as air travel is more like being confined in a tin can. Flying used to be fun - no more with lines and security searches, etc. and delays and more delays. Either take the bus, train or drive yourself. This way you know you'll get there and approximately when. This does not work, however, if you want to travel overseas though. But there are boats you know.

As far as opening the Emergency Exit and jumping out, you can't do that Exie. Against regulations for passengers to operate the equipment unless there is an emergency. So bring a book magazine, etc along as well as a brown bag lunch to eat just in case you ARE stuck in a tin can at the end of a runway.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:11 PM

excon agrees: But, I want to jump out...

Only if you wear a parachute are you permitted to jump out... but if it's only 20 feet in the air don't bother - bother wearing the parachute that is. Wear a bungee cord...
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello P:

Thanks for your answer. I don't disagree that that's what would happen to me...

However, lemme ask you this. Seeing as how the captain is GOD, is there ANY length of time that he could have held his passengers, BEYOND which would have been considered unlawful?

I suspect there is.

If so, how many hours/days/weeks would it be? If there IS a LIMIT, it would be an arbitrary limit, and could be moved any direction the arbiter wanted to move it. Wouldn't that be true?

excon
    They're proposing a three hour limit right now.

People have been held people on planes for over 15 hours. I don't know what the record is. After the fact, the airlines usually apologize all over the place. They give you free tickets, etc. I guess they hope you don't sue them because even if it isn't unlawful, almost any jury in the country would nail them to the ground and make them pay -- big time. It is inhumane (maybe I should say inhuman). I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being criminally responsible for doing it. That's not to say it couldn't be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are deleted emails saved by email companies for law enforcement or civil law [ 5 Answers ]

I heard that Google keeps your searches (by IP address) for six months or more, Microsoft a year and a half! So I got to thinking about emails. Text is trivially small to store and never delete. And with memory only becoming cheaper and more expansive, the downside for keeping information will...

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

Father in law will not leave mother in law alone after passing [ 4 Answers ]

Please help my father in law passed in November after being married to my mother in law for 57 years. For a couple of months she didn't feel his presence, now she says he will not go away and is trying to sexually molest her. She is becoming increasingly agitated about it. What can we do?

TN eviciton/ejection law with no lease - mother-n-law [ 5 Answers ]

I agreed to allow my monster-n-law to move in with us in September '07. We had a verbal agreement that she would stay downstairs in our "in-law suite/apartment" for four months. I told her that after four months if she was genuinely trying to find work and a place of her own she could stay longer. ...

View more questions Search