Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mad_Mac Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2004, 10:37 PM
    New Toilets.  Help!
    Is there anybody else out there that has troubles with today's modern, water saving toilets? Or am I the only one? I am at the end of my rope. The problem is that; I can't seem to find a brand of toilet that works right. They all clog even with nothing more then water and toilet paper. I spend more time plunging and reflushing. I hardly call that water saving. It's a regular event that happens at least every other flush. It happens with both of the toilets in my house and other people in my family have similer problems with their newer toilets. What I want to know, does anybody know of a brand of toilets that actually works these days. Or am I going to have to wait for somebody to tear down an old house and try and by the toilets. I hear a lot of people go to Canada these days to buy toilets because they don't have the same water saving rules as we do, but I live a long ways from the Canadian border, so that's out for me. Help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2004, 06:03 AM
    Re: New Toilets.  Help!
    Hey Mac, You're not alone. How can they call a toilet a "water saver" when you have to flush 2 or 3 times to get solids to go down? That saves water? But wait, don't make that trip to Canada just yet, Sloan has come out with a 1 gallon pressure assist toilet that is guaranteed to flush your troubles down the drain. You can check them out at, http://www.flushmate.com/ In the meantime you might want to check the water level in your tank. It wants to be 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when it's filled. Good luck and happy flushing. Tom
    Rotten Guatemalan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2004, 04:05 PM
    Try a Toto
    I had a pressure-assist toilet, nothing but problems. Was an early one, to be sure, but still hear similar problems from folks with new ones. For my new home, a friend suggested Toto toilets. They're low flow, but built like standard toilets, without pressure assist. I installed two, have never, ahem, looked back.

They work great. Six years on 'em, no problems. Only very occasionally have to flush twice, less than my old water wasters. How do they do it? The Japanese guy who designed them is all smug, says all he did was optimize the old design. I think he has a right to be smug.

Japanese company, American made. A little hard to find, not bad, a little more expensive, but not terribly. Should I be embarrassed to say that I love my toilet? :rolleyes:
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2005, 10:07 PM
    I put in a Kohler Rialto model from Home Depot. No problems/No log jams. It works well... I have tried to plug it up and it flushed fine. It is also fairly quiet on filling and flushing. We had a brutal water saving toilet at work... it pluged up every day.
    sgt_rjp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2005, 07:56 AM
    I've been happy with my vacuum assist toilet. I had a toilet(not a water saver) with a very shallow slope drain which was always clogging. I got a Crane vacuum assist and it flushes the first time, every time. The vacuum assist toilets are quieter than any other and less expensive than pressure assist. They don't have any of the problems of the pressure assist ones.
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 07:28 AM
    American Standard working great
    I installed an American Standard low Volume toilet about a year ago with no complaints. I uses 1.6 gpf. Sometime you have to give it a second courtesy flush, but on a normal basis, once will do.

David
    brenken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 09:41 AM
    I live in Canada and we have the same crappy toilets here. My plugs up at least twice a week. Am so sick of it. The only way to solve this problem is to find an old toilet to install EEK! Finding one that isn't used could be a challenge.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 2, 2011, 10:29 AM

Hi Brenken...

This is a thread from back in 2004... things have improved quite a bit since then!

Names like American Standard, Toto, and Kohler stand out in my mind. Here, if you are willing to spend $150.00-$200.00 on a toilet you should be very happy with the toilets they are making nowadays!

Hope that helps you out down the road... :)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubbling Toilets [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with all of the toilets bubbling. I have been able to fix the problem with a plunger but the problem keeps recurring. Today the toilets started bubbling and I was only running the washing machine. Again, the plunger fixed the problem. Last week while trying to plunger...

Toilets [ 1 Answers ]

We are almost ready to buy our toilets and I was wondering which brands you have had good luck with. With the low amount of water now used for flushing I want to avoid as many problems as possible. Thanks!

Black     ural Nationalism [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the formulation of a black aesthetic have been necessary at the moment in history of the Civil Rights / Black Power movement; and is it still a useful ?

View more questions Search