Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Now thats what I'm talking about.That is the way to go to the theater.All the comforts of home and someone to serve the food and drinks.Cool!

The girl who plays the lead is beautiful!
    Agree Artsey, extremely beautiful!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:24 PM

Artlady - Exie, you and me can all go to the flicker pictures together at the next 3D shebang that comes down the pike. He and I get the old fogey discounts so we're cheap dates... I'm a cheap drunk and get snockered on a half a beer. I love popcorn with all that nice movie theater butter all over. Now I've made myself hungry for popcorn and have to pop up some... dang.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Artlady - Exie, you and me can all go to the flicker pictures together at the next 3D shebang that comes down the pike. He and I get the old fogey discounts so we're cheap dates..... I'm a cheap drunk and get snockered on a half a beer. I love popcorn with all that nice movie theater butter all over. Now I've made myself hungry for popcorn and have to pop up some...... dang.
    Sounds like a plan there kid! ;)
    Do I get a discount at 55? I think I should.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 10:41 AM
    I may see Avatar tonight, woohoo!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 04:41 AM

Saw Avatar yesterday . You are right Ex ;seeing it in 3D Imax is the way to go . It was visually stunning and Cameron has almost completely bridged the gap between live acting and animation.

But as has been mentioned here already ;the genre of a white man thrust into a different culture ;embracing the culture;falling in love with one of the women ;and finally becoming a champion of the culture battling other whites is not really a new theme. My thoughts immediately went to' The Emerald Forest '.But although this story has been told before ,I suspect as long as the story is well told;it is a timeless tale.

Tell me again why I would not like it ? Cameron, like me ,sees the bureaucrat as a power hungry egomaniac. Unchecked they become like locust on the landscape.
    I also was attracted to the Na'Vi society . To achieve in their culture you had to earn it through a series of accomplishments. Nothing is given to them . Jake the hero becomes the top warrior by riding a dragon-like creature ;something only the very elite of the tribe has ever done before. He achieves by his own initiative .
    This fits in well with Jake's own views of self reliance . As a disabled vet ;he never uses his disability as an excuse . He doesn't accept help handouts or special favors . He could've easily remained on earth feeling sorry for himself collecting from the nanny-state. Instead he takes personal risks for the chance of great rewards.

Western history being what it is I get the comparison to the taming of the West ;the East India company etc. I dismiss the modern zeitgeist that conservatives wage war against Muslims for oil for the big evil corporation . So I see no need to let that theme sway me from concluding that going to see Avatar was money well spent.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 06:08 PM

Or you could look at it another way too.

It was just another Hollywood pic that depicted how the world, particularly those so worse off, can't get by without a white warrior to save the day and show them they way.

The 'savages' were about peace and love until the tough white hero saved the day and showed them that going to war was a good thing sometimes.

The poor old native were completely incapable and needed a white American (Australian actor) soldier to save there world. Sounds familiar.

I somewhat disagree Ex. This movie goes along with the rights idea's as much as it is against it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 08:39 PM

Skell I read a similar review today that made the same observation. The hero white person saving the person of a different race is a major liberal feel good theme that has been depicted many times in cinema . Sandra Bullock's most recent movie about American football is a good example of this genre .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 08:41 PM

I keep reading these silly remarks and it is like saying the wizard of oz is bad because it makes fun of little people, witchcraft and Kansas ( OK you can make fun of Kansas and still be politically correct I think)

It is a Sci fi show, why do people want to try and find things wrong with movies
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I keep reading these silly remarks and it is like saying the wizard of oz is bad because it makes fun of little people, witchcraft and kansas ( ok you can make fun of kansas and still be politically correct I think)

It is a Sci fi show, why do people want to try and find things wrong with movies
    I tend to agree Fr Chuck.. I was merely giving another way of looking at it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:22 AM

I've read where people are getting depressed that they can't go to another planet? What the heck? Go to another planet? Those people are obviously using any excuse to be "depressed". And over a movie, no less? I guess they can get more pills to pop if they are depressed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:28 AM
    I've read where people are getting depressed that they can't go to another planet?
    Hello twink:

I don't know about them. But, I'm depressed cause I can't find any of those 10' tall blue skinned delicious ladies. Did you eyeball those wagging tails?? OMG!

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
    I've read where people are getting depressed that they can't go to another planet? .
    What, can't they afford a holiday outside the US? Such people probably don't go outside their door.There are plenty of places on this planet that are different and challenging and it only takes a day or so to get there. I can understand them though, daytime television is so boring. So devoid of ideas. What we need is a good saga such as a voyage to Mars or Saturn to get us interested again:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marijuana and small government righty's [ 40 Answers ]

Hello experts: I don't know. I BELIEVE righty's when they talk about small government... That's why I don't understand how THEY don't understand, why the DEA is a prime example of BIG GOVERNMENT. Righty's mouth the words about government interference in your life, but believe they have...

The Righty's Are Right [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: Back in the distant past, if the Democrats stood up for their values like the Republicans are standing up for theirs now, we NEVER would have invaded Iraq, the government wouldn't be spying on us, there'd be NO Gitmo, and George Bush might have had a successful presidency. I don't...

Those wrong righty's [ 9 Answers ]

Hello wingers: Want to know why we have so much trouble? It’s cause the right wingers live in fantasy land. From their little hobbits in the tree trunk, they make law. You see, they think if they just shout something long enough, and then write it down in a book and call it law, they’ve...

The truth DOES hurt the righty's [ 30 Answers ]

Hello: Speaking about the truth hurting the righty's, catch this: I was deeply involved in my daily dose of Brit Hume and his cadre of neo-cons, Bill Kristol, Morton Kondrake, and Fred Barns, when I spit my coffee all over the TV. I love those guy's, don't you? They were talking about...

View more questions Search