Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ree8bob7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Fireplace Fan To Thermostat hookup
    I put in new gas logs with a combination remote control/Thermostat. The fan from the old gas log set is still operational and hook to electrical power. I want the fan connected to the new thermostat so that it will go on and off with the fire.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 02:31 PM

The thermostat must have an output to drive the gas valve. Right? Check the voltage of the output when the gas valve is on. Get a relay that corresponds to the voltage you measured. Look on the fan and determine the current (presumably at 120 volts) that the fan requires.

Connect the output of the thermostat to the relay's "coil" or primary. Connect the other side of the coil to the same "ground" that the thermostat uses.

Connect a 110-volt source to the relay's contacts or secondary. Connect the other side of the relay's contacts to the fan's input (black) lead. The other lead must go to the neutral. Basically, the relay replaces a switch in the LINE wire. When the thermostat turns the electric gas valve on, the fan should turn on also.

The main problem you will encounter is that the thermostat must be able to provide enough power to drive both the electric gas valve and also the relay's primary. You'll have to determine the current that the relay will draw and make sure that the thermostat can provide that in addition to what it is already drawing. If it cannot, you will burn out the thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace Fan To Thermostat hookup [ 1 Answers ]

I put in new gas logs. I would like to hook up the old fan to operate off the gas logs thermostat. How do I do this?

Pellet stove thermostat hookup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two wire hook up for my Quadrafire Mt Vernon pellet stove. It came w/o a thermostat. I bought a programmable thermo but am unable to find out how to hook it up. The two connections on the back of the stove are not marked and there are 5 connections on the thermo. The terminals on the...

Thermostat a/c hookup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman Evcon Presidential furnace Serial #72154 #360169. 47995-B56 it is a 72MBTU model circa 1989. The problem is the central air keeps blowing and won't shut off, even at the desired temperature. The only way to turn off the air conditioning is to manually shut off power to the...

Thermostat hookup problems [ 13 Answers ]

I'm having problems hooking up my new thermostat and need an expert to assist me. I've done a major bathroom remodeling by myself, but always seem to get stuck on electrical items. Changing the thermostat is no different. BTW, the thermostat works, I simply want to change it due to aesthetics. ...

View more questions Search