Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 04:52 AM

Dianne Sawyer of ABC told me otherwise yesterday.

Will taxes go up?
    In some cases, yes. Some higher-wage people would pay higher payroll taxes.
    Also, insurance companies that offer the most expensive plans -- the so-called "Cadillac plans" -- will be taxed. And they may pass those taxes on to employers and employees...or cut the benefits.
    Finally, health industries - like device makers and hospitals - would pay higher taxes, too... And they may pass those costs onto you.
    If I'm uninsured now, how soon do I get the help to buy health insurance?
    There's a big lag time. Under the House bill: 2013. And, under the Senate bill, not until 2014.
    Senate Health Care Bill: Frequently Asked Questions - ABC News
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 05:01 AM

Here is Sen. Thune's rebuttal to the comic Senator .

But I do want to make an observation with regard to the discussion held earlier today because a Member from the other side--the Senator from Minnesota--had indicated that he thought this chart was somehow inaccurate or misleading, and I want to point out again, Madam President, that the chart is very accurate. In fact, the taxes in the bill begin 18 days from now, on January 1 of next year. January 1, 2010, is when the taxes in this bill begin.

In fact, almost $72 billion of taxes will have been collected before the benefits that start to kick in will be paid out--the premium subsidies that are going to support the exchanges, that are supposedly going to help those who don't have insurance get access to it. That is 1,479 days from now.

The Senator from Minnesota got up and said, and I quote: We are entitled to our own opinions; we are not entitled to our own facts. The fact is, benefits kick in on day one. The large majority of benefits kick in on day one, and we shouldn't be standing up here with charts that say the exact opposite.

Well, Madam President, it is not me saying this; it is the Congressional Budget Office. The Congressional Budget Office has said that 99 percent of the coverage spending in this bill doesn't kick in until January 1, 2014--1,479 days from now.

Now, I ask my colleagues, and most Americans around this country: Do you think it is fair to construct a bill that in order to understate its total cost starts raising taxes in 18 days, but doesn't start delivering 99 percent of the coverage benefits until 1,479 days from now?

If the other side wants to have an argument about whether 99 percent of the coverage benefits kick in in the year 2014 or 100 percent, I am happy to have that argument. The point is simply this: Taxes start 18 days from now--tax increases--so that $72 billion in taxes will have been imposed upon the American people, and the benefits 1,479 days from now.

So, Madam President, I want to make that point and refute the argument that was made by the Senator from Minnesota that a large majority of benefits kick in on day one. Ninety-nine percent of the benefits don't kick in until later.
    Text From the Congressional RecordView Appearance | C-SPAN Congressional Chronicle, Created by Cable. Offered as a Public Service.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Here's Franken's dismanthling of t\Thune's lies:
    Franken slams GOP on Senate floor: ‘You’re not entitled to your own facts’ | Raw Story

You make fun of Franken but he's the biggest breath of fresh air in your sordid politics.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 05:32 AM

Thunes rebuttal makes Stewart Smalley's rants irrelevant pablum.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You make fun of Franken but he's the biggest breath of fresh air in your sordid politics.
    LOL, this about the freshman Senator who broke with tradition by denying Lieberman a couple of extra minutes to talk? Franken must be the only deluded individual in the country that doesn't get how this bill works, and you believe him. Btw, I'm still waiting for you to explain to the world how I'm a fanatic.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Btw, I'm still waiting for you to explain to the world how I'm a fanatic.
    By your postng history here. You didn't come here to help anyone with any question. You came here simply to post daily about about awful you believe those are who are of a different political ideology than you. That's ALL you do here.

And yes, I do like Franken a lot. Not just for the Lieberman thing or calling Thule but for the fact that he seems to care about the process and people and does not appear to be in any corporations pocket.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Thunes rebuttal makes Stewart Smalley's rants irrelevent pablum.
    Such immature posts.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hello again, twink:

I like the word RAMMED, because that's exactly what that little dweeb, the inoffensive, quite guy Senator from Nevada did.

If the bill failed, I was prepared to jump all over Obama for not using strong arm tactics. I was going to yell at Rahm Emanual for not doing it, and that's supposedly his speciality...

I say that, because that's how LBJ got his bills passed, and that's what I wanted Obama to do... I didn't know he had a Harry Reid.

Now, I like you, don't like the horse trading that went on. If it were me, I wouldn't compromise... But, the art of politics IS compromise, and that's how bills are passed... Yes, even REPUBLICAN bills, and if you say it isn't, I'm going to call you out.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    By your postng history here.You didn't come here to help anyone with any question.
    I see, warning people about their withholding isn't helpful. Telling people what's in a disastrous health care bill isn't helpful. Suggesting others not adhere to legalistic church doctrines isn't helpful? Telling people that the message of Christianity is "God loves you" (which you agreed with by the way) isn't helpful? But calling me a fanatic is?

You came here simply to post daily about about awful you believe those are who are of a different political ideology than you. That's ALL you do here.
    This is the "current events" area of "member discussions." What type of discussion do you as the self-appointed board moderator approve of? Oh that's right, accusing me of "making sh!t up," that I buy up incorrect information, that I'm "moving dangerously close to Glen Beck style of "opinionating" and that I base my opinions on "a pile of steaming crap." What is it again exactly you do here?

I am unabashedly conservative. That doesn't make me a "fanatic," it means I have principles I stand for. Don't you?
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    what is it again exactly you do here?
    Name:  dots.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  1.3 KB
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 22, 2009, 11:13 AM

Where IN WRITING in this bill does it state when benefits start and when do the taxes begin? Talk is cheap.

Was it not Reid that said one or 2 people die every 10 minutes due to a lack of health insurance? If this bill's start is 2014, that is approximately 157,000 to 315,000 people who will die. That is unconscionable. Remember, the Dems have the majority, so why do they still have to use hundreds of millions of TAXPAYOR dollars to buy off certain Dem votes for this bill?

If this bill's purported health reform is so good, why does it not sell itself?

G&P
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Was it not Reid that said one or 2 people die every 10 minutes due to a lack of health insurance? If this bill's start is 2014, that is approximately 157,000 to 315,000 people who will die. That is unconscionable.
    The stats on people dying is with the current status quo.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 22, 2009, 11:23 AM

So where in writing is this bill's proposed start date? What is the rush if it is 2014?

G&P
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, twink:

I like the word RAMMED, because that's exactly what that little dweeb, the inoffensive, quite guy Senator from Nevada did.

If the bill failed, I was prepared to jump all over Obama for not using strong arm tactics. I was gonna yell at Rahm Emanual for not doing it, and that's supposedly his speciality...

I say that, because that's how LBJ got his bills passed, and that's what I wanted Obama to do... I didn't know he had a Harry Reid.

Now, I like you, don't like the horse trading that went on. If it were me, I wouldn't compromise... But, the art of politics IS compromise, and that's how bills are passed... Yes, even REPUBLICAN bills, and if you say it isn't, I'm gonna call you out.

excon
    Well, Pilgrim, them's fighting words... but I'm not fighting, tee hee. Wrong thread.

Anyway, this bill IS going to be passed and the American people don't want it. The reason I said RAMMED is because that's exactly what is happening. It's gotten on a locomotive and is literally running all over the American people like a freight train with 1,000 cars on it.

The only thing "good" about it is hopefully going to nip those baby poopers in the bud. Watching the TV shows "18 Kids and Counting" and "20 Duggers in 20 Years" are enough to make a sane person puke. Although China did take it a little too far in the old child policy maybe American can cut back on too many kids in one family.

The only thing I'm not happy about is they really didn't spell out just how much all this "health care" is going to cost per month. Does anyone know anything about the cost to us, the little people who pay taxes?

I disagree about the art of politics though. It's not compromise that gets bills passed. It's green as in MONEY but pssssst don't tell Exie know this as he thinks it's about being polite and making compromises. It's really cold, hard cash with a capital C courtesy of the wonderful lobbyists and their deep, deep pockets.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 03:57 AM

Twink
    Most of our entitlement program are ponzi schemes designed to screw the young and transfer their income to the geezers . Restrictions on the number of children allowed per family only work to hasten the collapse of the program.

The art of compromise... as Mark twain said :

Those that respect the law and love sausage should watch neither being made
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Well why don't you tell us twinkie what else is stapled on to it, you see that sort of thing isn't allowed here, full transparency, they can do a deal to get a bill passed but the legislation has to travel the regular path on its own which means sometimes they renig on the deal if they don't like the detail. They reniged on the Alcopop tax and the Emissions Trading Scheme. The ETS was stapled to the Emissions Target Bill but couldn't get up that way either. Our deals are more about changing the bill to pass it than fannoogling some funding for a boondoggle. Opportunism is alive and well and living in the US. We don't have a Bill of Rights they can destroy and our common law rights work just fine, but gun law reform over there is long overdue, pity they had to be sneaky about it. We have wonderfull laws like outlawing the bikie gangs and managing the income of the dole bludgers and taxing poker machines and returning water to rivers. I'm sure your human rights lawyers would have people tied up in courts for centuries
    Para - If I knew every single add on tack on to this "bill" I'd probably be included in a small handful of folks who actually DO know all the add ons, etc.

Also just what the blue blazes is "dole bludgers"? Never heard the term before. Sometimes you need to remember not everyone here speaks Aussie fluently.

Have you ever been to the USA and actually lived here and watched the local TV news for a good year or more and listen to all the drivel they are trying to shove down the people's throats on a daily basis? Probably not. Even reading the local newspapers here leave a lot to be desired. In the local TV news there is about 5 minutes of world and national news, 20 minutes of national sports and local sports, 10 minutes of weather, and 30 minutes of commercials - all in a one hour "local" new hour. Other than "sound bites" of 15 seconds or less there is not much "national news" actually being reported locally to the populace. Even the national news that supposedly concentrates on national and world news leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I don't watch the local, national newscasts unless I want to see what for disinformation is being fed to the populace. I'd rather watch the Weather channel as it's much more entertaining watching the same weather pattern on the map for an hour or more.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Where IN WRITING in this bill does it state when benefits start and when do the taxes begin? Talk is cheap.

Was it not Reid that said one or 2 people die every 10 minutes due to a lack of health insurance? If this bill's start is 2014, that is approximately 157,000 to 315,000 people who will die. That is unconscionable. Remember, the Dems have the majority, so why do they still have to use hundreds of millions of TAXPAYOR dollars to buy off certain Dem votes for this bill?

If this bill's purported health reform is so good, why does it not sell itself?

G&P
    I agree with you. This bill is NOT GOOD on it's face and never will be - at least not the way they are crafting and pushing it now.

This whole health care scam is almost a repeat of the TARP scandal. First it started with a blank piece of paper that was supposed to be approved with no strings attached and the sky's the limit. Then it had to be fattened up with a few hundred pages and when that was not adequate it was further fattened up until it was so fat that no one was able to read it let alone comprehend it in the 5 seconds it was available by Congress to be read. No, it had to be immediately passed sight unseen or horrors the bankers would go broke! And what happened once it was passed? The bankers didn't go broke, everyone else went broke as the bankers refused to make new loans.

I see history repeating itself in the health care bill.

And yes, Tom, I agree with your assessment of the Ponzi schemes bilking the younger folks in favor of the older folks.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 01:51 PM

The Mayo Clinic, that facility praised by Obama as a model health care provider, is dropping Medicare patients at an Arizona clinic:

The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care, will stop accepting Medicare patients as of tomorrow at one of its primary-care clinics in Arizona, saying the U.S. government pays too little.

More than 3,000 patients eligible for Medicare, the government’s largest health-insurance program, will be forced to pay cash if they want to continue seeing their doctors at a Mayo family clinic in Glendale, northwest of Phoenix, said Michael Yardley, a Mayo spokesman. The decision, which Yardley called a two-year pilot project, won’t affect other Mayo facilities in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.

Obama in June cited the nonprofit Rochester, Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio for offering “the highest quality care at costs well below the national norm.” Mayo’s move to drop Medicare patients may be copied by family doctors, some of whom have stopped accepting new patients from the program, said Lori Heim, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, in a telephone interview yesterday.

“Many physicians have said, ‘I simply cannot afford to keep taking care of Medicare patients,’” said Heim, a family doctor who practices in Laurinburg, North Carolina. “If you truly know your business costs and you are losing money, it doesn’t make sense to do more of it.”

Medicare Loss

The Mayo organization had 3,700 staff physicians and scientists and treated 526,000 patients in 2008. It lost $840 million last year on Medicare, the government’s health program for the disabled and those 65 and older, Mayo spokeswoman Lynn Closway said.

Mayo’s hospital and four clinics in Arizona, including the Glendale facility, lost $120 million on Medicare patients last year, Yardley said. The program’s payments cover about 50 percent of the cost of treating elderly primary-care patients at the Glendale clinic, he said.

“We firmly believe that Medicare needs to be reformed,” Yardley said in a Dec. 23 e-mail. “It has been true for many years that Medicare payments no longer reflect the increasing cost of providing services for patients.”
    How many more will follow Mayo's lead and cut their losses while they can before Obamacare kicks in? Mayo said Medicare only covers half the cost of treating elderly patients in that facility, what's going to happen after Obama cuts billions more out of Medicare payments while expanding the program?
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 4, 2010, 02:47 PM

Hey, Twink,

Not disagreeing with you, but watch Fox Cable news and read National Review. Refreshing!

In my providers list, most all of the PCP's will not accept any new Medicare patients.

This does not bode well for people who pay their premiums only to find that they cannot use their insurance anywhere.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post

Get ready to be ordered to take flu shots, take handfuls of pills you don't need.
    How can 'they' order you to take flu shots ?

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health and social care - hazards in health & social care settings [ 10 Answers ]

Explain the potential hazards in health and social care settings, you should include: 1. hazards: e.g. from workinh environment, working condition, poor staffing training, poor working practices, equipment, substance etc. 2. working environment: e.g. within an organisation's premises 3....

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

The Baucus health care bill [ 8 Answers ]

Hello wingers: How come so quiet? Is it cause you got what you want - a GIFT of 30 million new customers to the insurance companies? If you guys weren't sooooo far to the right, Max Baucus would be a Republican... One thing you can say about Republicans, though... Even IF your...

Health care [ 2 Answers ]

Is welfare the same as medicare ?

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

View more questions Search