Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheHazelRose Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Are hamters nice?
    Hay guys.. I was thinking about getting a hamster because they are cute, and simple pets to take care of.. But when I was younger, many years ago; I had a hamster but he was pretty mean, and bit me really bad once. Are hamsters good pets, and are they nice? I've heard that Dwarf Hamsters are the best.. But I'm not sure. Many friends tell me that their hamsters are sweet, and only lick them, but never tend to bite them. I'm just wanting to know if any of you have had hamsters, and what were their personalites like? Did they ever bite? And is their nature to bite? Thanks Guys. I hope I explained my question well enough. ;]
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:13 PM

I had two hamsters. One was mean, the other was very nice and friendly. The friendly was the runt and the other picked on him a lot. Eventually, the friendly one died. Then -- wonder of wonders, the aggressive one became extremely friendly. We would put him out on the floor and coax him to us with food.

It is their nature to bite, so don't put your finger too close to them.

Dec 20, 2009, 10:54 PM

Thanks Perito.. I was only thinking of getting the one hamster, so two wouldn't fight.. but by saying putting my finger close to them, does that mean they aren't meant to be held?
    trinickjan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 04:45 AM
    As hamsters are nocturnal they can be really grumpy when woken in the day, which is their night. Gerbils are awake in the day though and are really happy little souls. We have had quite a few and never been bitten. They used to play in the children's dolls house!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHazelRose View Post
    Thanks Perito.. I was only thinking of getting the one hamster, so two wouldn't fight.. but by saying putting my finger close to them, does that mean they arn't ment to be held?
    They don't usually bite very hard. I used to use a thin leather glove to handle them. When they get used to you, they usually won't bite very hard -- but a leather glove might be a good idea, nonetheless.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2009, 11:30 AM

Just like any other pet it all depends on the individual. I've had hamsters that were super friendly, others that you couldn't get near.

Your best bet is to spend a bit of time with the hamster before purchasing.

Also, Syrian hamsters should never be housed together. Ever! Hamsters are solitary animals, they do not like being with other hamsters. They are usually okay until the hit sexual maturity (which is why you see hamsters together in the pet store) but after that they will fight, usually to the death.

Dwarf hamsters can be kept together (or so they say) but also would rather be alone. Also, dwarf hamsters are more aggressive then their syrian relatives, especially russian dwarf's.

Good luck with your hammy. :)

Feb 24, 2010, 01:28 AM

Thanks so much, guys. :]
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 24, 2010, 02:07 AM

My niece has several dwarf hamsters. She got one for her tenth birthday, and it gave birth in a friend's hand during her birthday sleepover. (the friend was mildly traumatized. She thought she'd petted it too hard and killed it.) since then they've mated a few times. She has five or six right now, I think.

As far as I know, they all live in the same cage. There haven't been any aggression problems, other than the babies getting eaten by their mom a couple times. All of them are friendly and don't mind being held. They don't bite, just kind of nibble a little bit sometimes.

Hamsters bite because their teeth never stop growing. If they don't chew, then their teeth can actually grow through their bottom jaw. As long as you give your hamster plenty of wood blocks and toys to chew on, it shouldn't feel the need to chew on you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 08:44 AM

Dwarf hamsters are one of the only breeds of hamsters that can live together without killing each other.

Most hamsters sold in pet stores are Syrian hamsters. Once they reach sexual maturity they cannot be housed together. They should only be mated by people that know what they're doing.

Too many people think that all pets want a friend. Syrian hamsters really don't. They would rather be alone. They tolerate us, they don't tolerate their own kind. They're loners.

Feb 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
    Hamster Genders, Which is better behaved?
    I have asked a question about hamster personalities, and have been doing my research upon them.. But now I would like to ask another question about them. Some hamster owners have told me that males are better because they do not go in heat, tend to be more sweet, are calmer than females but will be more dominate; females go in heat (So from what I've read), every 4-days to a week, bleed often, and may have more of an attitude. I was just curious if you hamster owners have ever had these issues with each gender and in your personal opinion, which do you think is more likely to have a better disposition. Thank you so much guys.

Feb 27, 2010, 01:41 AM

I would be sure to give him/her plenty things to chew on, and I was thinking of only having the one hamster, because I have heard that they can be aggressive towards others, and as you said Altenweg, they are loners. Thank you for the helping answers. :]
    Experts

Feb 27, 2010, 02:29 AM

one more thing. If you plan on keeping it in your bedroom, make sure it doesn't have a squeaky wheel to run on. You'll NEVER get any sleep ^_^

Feb 27, 2010, 02:49 AM

That is true.. XD Maybe a little bit of oil every once and a while will loosen it up, and prevent it from making loud noises? :D
    Experts

Feb 27, 2010, 03:03 AM

plastic wheels don't usually squeak as badly as metal ones ^_^

Feb 27, 2010, 03:17 AM

Thank you for the advice. I may look into getting a plastic one if I get a hamster. :]
    Experts

Feb 27, 2010, 03:20 AM

No problem. Figured you like to get some sleep.

The one thing I miss about the short time I had a hamster when I was little, is the smell of cedar chips. I love that smell, so much better than the pine stuff they sell now.

Feb 27, 2010, 04:12 AM

D'aww. :] And I sure do like my sleep. XD
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 01:51 PM

I have heard from a lot of hamster owners perfer males over females...

My opinion.. all hamsters have their moments of being grumpy. Hampsters are nocturnal.. They don't like to be pestered during the day, especially while they sleep. It does take conditioning and patience to turn your hamster into a day creature, I have heard of it happening.

If you want a rodent pet for kids, I would suggest a mouse, rat or guinea pig or possibly even a gerbal. Those rodents like to be in groups and rarely ever bite or have an attitude. I know a lot of people turn down the idea of owning a rat/mouse due to them being dirty.. Yes, multiple rats and mice are filthy. One, is very clean.

Hamsters are rodents that prefer to be alone in the wild. They only time they tolerate each other is for breeding. Ever notice in the pet stores that one huge hamster alone in a cage? They turn aggressive after they reach adulthood, which doesn't take long at all.

So if you're looking for an awesome little rodent pet, I would suggest a rat, mouse, guinea pig and possibly even a gerbil.

Mar 4, 2010, 10:08 AM

Thank you so much for the advice, Lucky.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Mar 10, 2010, 05:24 PM

From my experience it doesn't really matter as long as you give it lots of treats and love.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to become nice. [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in middle school and I need help! I used to be a pretty nice person in most ways, but I got mean when I met somebody and we became good friends.. how do I get my niceness back? I mean, now I'm making fun of people and bullying more and doing things I just shouldn't be doing. I was doing fine...

If you wonder if you want to be a nice guy anymore or you think nice guy finish last [ 6 Answers ]

YOU SHOULD Definitely CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU MAKING ANY DECISION... IT SO TRUE ABOUT EVERY AREAS OF A NICE GUY SITUATION AND HOW THEY FEEL ANYTHING EVERYTHING... DO NICE GUYS REALLY FINISHED LAST ? WHAT SHOULD NICE GUYS DO ? Movie name : Just A Nice Guy Part 1 : YouTube - Just A Nice...

I don't know her, but she looks nice [ 5 Answers ]

Two weeks ago, I was hanging out with a good friend of mine at a shopping mall here in this crazy town, we were going to do some improveverywhere sort of thing, but we had some time to walk around, so I decided to go to a record store and check some albums out. One of the girls who worked there, a...

If you wonder if you want to be a nice guy anymore or you think nice guy finish last [ 12 Answers ]

YOU SHOULD Definitely CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU MAKING ANY DECISION... IT SO TRUE ABOUT EVERY AREAS OF A NICE GUY SITUATION AND HOW THEY FEEL ANYTHING EVERYTHING... DO NICE GUYS REALLY FINISH LAST ? WHAT SHOULD NICE GUY SO ? Movie name : Just A Nice Guy Part 1 : YouTube - Just A Nice Guy -...

MATCHMAKER ALERT (Nice guys do not always finish last -but NICE nice guys do) [ 2 Answers ]

There is a general thought that: - nice guys don't get the girl. - nice guys get walked on. - nice guys get left behind. It's not that simple. 1. Nice guys can get any girl. As long as they "own their space" -- that is, they know themselves and their life purpose and what drives them.

View more questions Search