Ask
    mymoonsarifa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 08:54 PM
    What is meant by serial communiction using rs 232c
    What is meant by serial communiction using rs 232c
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:20 PM

RS-232C (Recommended Standard 232, revision C) is an old (in computer terms) standard for communicating between a computer and a device, or between two computers, etc. It's a standard that defines the connectors, wiring, and some of the communication parameters that must be set in order to succeed.

RS-232C is now EIA-232, but most people still call it "RS-232". Here's a Wikipedia article on it.

RS-232 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it's now considered "obsolete", it's still extremely common in industry. Years ago, it was not as "standard" as it is now (companies implemented it differently). Nowadays, it's very standard.

When you use RS-232, you need to specify the Baud Rate, Data Bits, Stop Bits, and Parity as well as a type of handshaking (that can be "none"). It can be pretty complicated. The Wikipedia article describes it pretty thoroughly.

Many PCs still have a nine-pin connector (popularly referred to as a "DB-9" connector) that can implement RS-232C between the computer and another device. Older computers had a DB-25 connector that was used for the same purpose.

D-subminiature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The DB-25 connector actually had pins for at least two distinct types of communication (synchronous and asynchronous). Almost no one uses synchronous communication using RS-232c. It's all Asynchronous.
    pratheeba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 09:21 PM
    PC to PC communication
    What is meant by networking?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:31 PM

Perito:

I'm going to confuse you a bit: D-subminiature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The DB-9 is like the band-aid; It really is a DE-9, but no one calls it that except when you want to buy them.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 21, 2009, 01:47 AM
    You title has already answered your own question..
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 07:03 AM

Just to throw it out there, did you guys ever use the 6-pin (mini) DIN connectors?

All mini now, but the older computers were huge. Could never find the right plug. I use the mini's now all the time in video wiring, funny how they are kind of outdated as well, however, they are standard for Power/Video/Audio connections.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 07:10 AM

Yeah, basically PC's communicating.

When you go on the internet, you join a very large network, and every site you access is information you had sent from you over the network from another PC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2009, 07:14 AM

Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/arts-l...board-b-u.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2009, 07:16 AM

I've merged these two threads since these appear to be from the same person.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 07:48 AM

Let me kind of add something.

Back in the day, all 25 pins were used; now just a small subset.
    There were Data Terminal Devices (DTE) and Data something or other DCE or modems.

The signals had largely the same function, but modems did not call terminals.

You had two signals that said the devices had power. No point communicaing of they were not on.

You had 2 signals that said, I'm ready to communicate. These sigals could be dropped and re-asserted when hardware flow was enabled.

You had tranmit data and receive data which were lines that communication happened from.

There was a protective ground and a signal ground connection.

Then there was RI or ring indicatior.

SO the communication went something like this:

If the modem had power, it would asserty DTR.

There would be an incoming call which would assert RI (Ringng)

Modem would assert RTS (Request to send) It answered the phone.

Some handshaing would occur and the terminal would assert Clear to send

Data would occur over Tx/Rx/Gnd for the remainder of the transmission.

CTS/RTS would be the basis of hardware flow, ^S and ^Q would be the basis of software flow control.

A control-S would stop the paper tape reader and an ^Q would resume it.

These designations also carried over to video terminals.

The levels were -3 to -25 V and +3 tp +25 V

The standard was later really mucked up by IBM and used a 9 pin rather than a 25 pin connector and nobody followed the standard. Now levels have gone to about +-12V max and some systems use +-5V creating some havoc with devices.

RS422 made the communication differential. In may cases RS422 can be converted into RS232 with some wire juggleing.

RS485 came along which is a master/slave communication with about 32 devices and differential communication.

You really don't want to know about that serial communication era.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Back in the day, all 25 pins were used; now just a small subset.
    There were Data Terminal Devices (DTE) and Data something or other DCE or modems.
    That's not quite true. Even when 232 came out, people used either the asynchronous pins or the synchronous pins, not both. I don't think I ever saw a situation where they used both the synchronous and asynchronous sets of pins. There were actually very, very few cases where the synchronous pins were used -- just in extrremely specialized applications.

The DB-9 (DE-9) came out when IBM realized that there was no need for the synchronous pins.

... some systems use +-5V creating some havoc with devices.
    There were some companies that used TTL voltages (0 and +5 V -- not understanding the standard). They claimed to adhere to "RS-232", but they weren't. That caused additional problems.

You really don't want to know about that serial communication era.
    You hit that nail right on the head.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Just to throw it out there, did you guys ever use the 6-pin (mini) DIN connectors?
    Yes. I've used them all -- and some that weren't allowed by the standard.

Our company used a DB-9 before the DB-9 specification appeared. The problem was that they used pins 2, 3, and 7 (data leads only) the same as the DB-25 (the DB-9 spec would have used pins 3, 2, and 5 respectively). That turned out to be a pain many years later. We were constantly having to make adapter cables.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:12 AM

Yea. A sysnchonous, ttwo asynchrounous (one normal and a back channel)

So, there were two asynchonous and one synchonous protocol. The low baud rate async was used to support the synchronous communication.

The synchonous mode was used for higher speed communications which most could not afford. Like satellite offices communicating with corporate offices.

We used it as a mux, to get across toll areas within the state.

This was when 1200 baud was FAST and expensive and 9600 didn't exist for phone lines. 300 baud was the norm.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Adapter cables were the norm. Then there eis the RJ-45 standard. Neat actually. A cross connection would change it to a DTE or vice versa. NO ring indicator, I believe.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks Perito for the comments. We have lots in common, you know and a Merry Christmas too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whether he is meant for me or not? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am rose. I have been into a relation for the past one and half years. But many a times I feel that we are not meant for each other. I feel our expectations from each other are quite different. I am very expressive. Even if we fight I want it to get solved very fast. But he is the opposite....

Meant to be or not? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there all, I'm a 20 year old male, going for my 3rd year at varsity. Not sure if I'm in the right catergory anyway... Theres this girl that's been studying with me since my first year, she is extremely attractive and intelligent, at first I never noticed her because I had a girlfriend at the...

It meant nothing ! [ 13 Answers ]

Split up with a partner, together a while, but the time spent together meant nothing to her ! She said it had been fun while it lasted. Eh! Why deceive me... It was either just a bit of fun or more than that, she always pushed for marriage, how can that just be a bit of fun? Can't come to...

Meant to be? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 23 years old and I have a 2 1/2 year old son from a previous marriage. I got divorced over 2 years ago and I have full custody of my son. I met a girl about a year ago and Ive know her since high school. We started dating and I decided to ask her to marry me. She said yes and we both decided...

Are we meant to be together? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm an 18 year old girl and enjoying my life. Recently I met a guy who was just like what I thought my prince charming would be. We get along really well, in fact, more than just well. We are best friends and keep in touch. But the problem is that he is still obsessed about a girl who rejected...

View more questions Search