Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsJones311 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 05:16 PM
    What if parents won't let you move out at 18?
    I am going to be 18 in August. And me and my boyfriend want to get a place together.. but we are afraid that my parents won't let me go. What can I do. can I leave even if they won't let. and can I leave even if I'm still in high school?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 05:21 PM

Where, what State?

You are an adult at 18 in "most" States and can simply leave your parents' home.

You MAY (depending on the State) be required to be out of high school, self supporting, with your OWN place to live, to be emancipated.

You will be 18 in August and still be in high school?

Dec 20, 2009, 05:39 PM

Yeah I will 18 in August and still be in high school..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 05:43 PM

So you have another year of high school after you turn 18.
    Normally after you turn 18 there is nothing they can do.

Dec 20, 2009, 05:45 PM

no.. Next year is my last year of high school..
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsJones311 View Post
    no.. next year is my last year of high school..

You will turn 18 in August and start your senior year of high school in the Fall?

That's what FrChuck said.

Once you are 18 - again, what State? - your parents cannot force you to live with them unless there are some special circumstances.

Dec 20, 2009, 06:11 PM

New York..

Dec 20, 2009, 06:13 PM

Yes I will be startng my senior year in fall.. Sorry I wasn't reading what was wirtten.. my fault..
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 06:18 PM

You are an adult in NY at age 18 and can "simply" move out. Your parents cannot legally stop you.

Dec 20, 2009, 06:24 PM

Even if I am still in high school I can move out.
    dljb9259 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 06:24 PM

Your grown at the age of 18. But I wouldn't advise you to move until you finish school. I moved out with my boyfriend at 19. My mom was super pissed but she couldn't tell me no because I was older than 17. Me and her are cool again and I still stay with my boyfriend. Just know every action comes with consequences.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 07:08 PM

And I will add, if you and your boyfriend are really and truly in love, you will still be in love at the end of the school year after your graduate.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Dec 20, 2009, 07:32 PM

Ive been there. When I turned 23, I was ready to admit I should have listened to them. It was a mistake to live as I pleased, with such caring advice from parents that loved me.
    Stay home until you graduate, and longer, if you can. Look back someday and realise how nice it is to have parents to rely on. You have your whole life to live as you please.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 10:40 PM

You can move out but unless your parents are abusive, I would recommend you stay with them at least until you graduate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house? [ 7 Answers ]

I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I...

30 yr old who wants to move out and afraid to tell her parents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 30 yr old adult who feels like a child. My parents are European and Catholic and I still live at home. That itself should explain it all. My life has been kind of a roller coaster. I have been engaged twice but couldn't go through with it. I am now the happiest I have ever been with...

Tenant won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't answer calls from me! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't take calls from me. They do not use the house as a primary residence. They are very wealthy and definitely have the means to pay. Just incredibly evasive and dismissive. Dotn know where to turn. Someone please help! I cannot...

Helping girlfriend move out of ex's parents [ 4 Answers ]

Well, things between my girlfriend and her current living situation have finally reached the boiling point to where she is moving out of that place and into my place. She does have 2 girls, the ex does NOT live in that house or anything. Well today her and I are going to get her stuff out of that...

Parents Divorcing, But 17 yr old wanting to move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 yrs old and my parents are getting a divorce. They agreed on join custody, but I want to move out of Indiana to Utah to live with family. I'm not sure if I'm old enough to be emanicipated but I want to live with my family in Utah. My father is not giving consent for me to move, but my...

View more questions Search