Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2004, 07:54 AM
    Outdoor spigot handle/knob size
    :-/ Dear Labman,

My husband tried to find a replacement spigot turning knob for outdoor hose spigot coming out of house, but our house was built in 1968 and it seems we can't locate one locally that has a LONGER extension where the knob fits onto the spigot. The replacement is needed because the turning knob is missing some of its flowerlet and cuts ones fingers when turning it - ouch!

Do you know of a supply house where OLDER plumbing hardward is available - perhaps online?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Abba
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2004, 10:24 AM
    Re: outdoor spigot handle/knob size
    I'm not Labman but I'm sure he would give you the same answer.  Go down to your hardware store and ask for a universal replacement handle.  They  come in one handle or a with a cross of four and will fit any stem.   How they work is a universal handle will fit over the stem and it has a screw with a point that bites into the stem as you tighten it.  This allows you to turn the valve off and on and becomes a permanent  part of your spicot.  Or you could make the rounds of plumbing shops with the old handle and see if they can duplicate it.  Good luck,  Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 26, 2004, 10:27 AM
    Tom may have a better idea on this than I do. You might try some of the pluming supply houses or lumber yards. Builders buy their supplies at lumberyards and pluming supply houses. Often you can't buy parts for them at hardware and home centers. It may not be the age so much as the brand. It would be a bit of a nuisance, but the keys for the vandal resistant commercial building faucets where you take the handle with you when you go away, might fit it. You might even be able to drill a hole in it and screw it to the faucet.

If nothing else, bolt a piece of wood to the old handle.
    abba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2004, 10:53 AM
    Dear Speedball and Labman,

THANK YOU BOTH! GREAT ADVICE. And, as Labman advised, if all else fails, I can use a piece of wood! How "distinguished" that would look. Ha ha.

Sincerely, abba

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor spigot dripping handle [ 21 Answers ]

Water drips from just beneath the handle on my outdoor spigot when the spigot is on. Where can I find a diagram that will tell me how to take apart, but especially how to put back together, the handle part of the spigot?

Outdoor Spigot Knob / Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to replace the knob on the outdoor hose spigot of my house. Not having done much plumbing, is there anything unusual I need to know? (ie: do I have to turn the screw right instead of left to loosen, or anything odd and plumbing-specific like that?) Any tips welcome.

Outside spigot [ 1 Answers ]

We have two outside spigots, one on either side of the house. The water is turned on and one works and one does not. The knob turns but no water comes out. What could be the problem?

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

Outdoor spigot knob stuck [ 1 Answers ]

Now that spring is here, we turned back on the water supply for the outdoor spigots. Water started flowing normally out of the spigot attached to the outside of the back of our house but when we went to turn off the water (using the knob on the spigot), the knob wouldn't budge. We have tried...

View more questions Search