Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coathupr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 10:22 AM
    house construction
    We just built a house. It has a walk out basement. The house is all done but the walkout is not complete. The open part is 50 ft long. It has 2x8 for walls, plywood on the outside with house wrap. I live in Vermont. Cold up here. Right now I do not have insulation in the basement wall because it is frosty on the inside of the wall between the studs. Is this because it is not finished and the cold is seeping in? Also I will be putting up siding up over the wall outside soon, but is it all right to insulate the wall and put sheetrock up right now before I side the outside. Do I use plastic as a bearier before the sheetrock? I do not want mold issue. Give me some suggestions on what to do? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 10:28 AM

Your outside walls must be covered to prevent moisture from getting in so wait for siding or cover with Tyvec. Insulate with fiber glass batts and install a visqueen vapor barrier on the inside surface before drywall. I would suugest using paperless drywall or moisture resistant drywall. Mold eats the paper and basements tend to be more moist than a 1st floor living space.
    coathupr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 11:03 AM

Do I use cement board? I never heard of paperless sheetrock. Some one told me when I get around to insulate the concrete wall, I should buy the pink foam boards and glue them on the wall and then build a wall abount one inch from foam board. Is this correct?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 12:46 PM

Cement board like hardiebacker is used inside wet areas of a shower if you are talking about interior use in place of sheet rock. There is a cement board siding also made bt Hardiebacker that I would recommend. Paperless sheet rock is there, just ask for it. Mold actually does like to grow in drywall plaster, no food, it eats the paper so paperless is a good application. Greenboard, blueboard are moisture resistant, better but not mold proof.
    tntster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 07:08 PM
    If I'm understanding correctly, the walk out wall is a wood structure built of 2x8's, covered with plywood or some type of sheathing, and has a house wrap attached. The other three walls are concrete I'm assuming.

Yes, you will see moisture or even frost if the basement doesn't have a lot of heat and there is no insulation. Make sure you have the band board or rim joist insulated (the cavity area where the floor joists and the 2x8 wall meet. The preferred method would be to seal the house from the outside first with your exterior siding, then insulate and drywall. Although you have a house wrap, it is not a vapor barrier and water can penetrate if you choose to drywall prior to installing the siding, you risk the chance of moisture getting in the insulation and possibly creating a mold problem.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jan 5, 2010, 07:11 PM

ballengerb1may have forgot to add that the green board may be mousture resistant on the front but the brown area on the back is not the green front is covered by a wax coating and he is mistaken about blue board because blueboard is for plaster base products and is made to suck the moisture out of the plaster so it sets faster the paperless drywall is called dense armor and is very pricey and a bit harder to finish

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I finance a foreclosed house under construction? [ 1 Answers ]

So, I gather this is a complicated feat? I would like to purchase a house that has been foreclosed on during the construction process, before the certificate of occupency was obtained. Can I get a construction to permanent loan to finish the house and then modify to a permanent mortgage? The...

New House Construction [ 2 Answers ]

What would happened to wall stubs and osb during the construction under rain and heat condition? What is the normal time frame for building the house before the lumbers get damage? i.e. no more than 6 weeks? Thanks

Who does final cleaning on new house construction? [ 1 Answers ]

Was wondering if the General Contractor or the home builder usually pays to have the home cleaned before final inspection, closing?

House construction Vs rent [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please give the xls spread sheet for the following showing NPV at 6% and payout period. 1. currently renting 80 houses, total at SR 3,200,000 per year 2. Inflation of house rent 2% per year 3. Intend to...

View more questions Search