Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moses kenyajui Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 02:14 AM
    Chemical reactions that change physical properties of reactants.
    What is the name of a chemical reaction whereby the initial volume of the reactants conmbined is reduced after the reaction.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:43 AM

Well, I think the easiest reactions that involve this are condensation reactions, where water is formed.

In the most famous one , you have two gases combining, hydrogen and oxygen, forming water.

In the balanced reaction, you have 5 units of volume at the start, and only 2 at the end, provided the water is in the gaseous state.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Unknown008's right. In fact, almost any combustion reaction changes the volume of the chemical species involved. Most hydrocarbons are liquids or solids. Of course, some are gases (methane, for example). When they burn, water and carbon dioxide is formed. This normally results in some sort of change in physical properties and volume of material.

I don't think I know general name for a reaction where the volumes of the products differs from that of the reactants (I think this is what you meant to say). Maybe we could make one up: How about a volume-morphing reaction?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Reactions: Balanced Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a structural diagram of reactant molecules 2 no + )2 -> 2no3 Structural digram of product molecules

Chemical reactions [ 4 Answers ]

Are the products of calcium + water --- calcium hydroxide + hydrogen gas and is that expressed as CaOH + H2O ----(arrow) CaOH + H2 Are the products of tin + antimony(V)chloride----tin chloride + antimony And is that expressed as Sn + AtCl5-----(arrow) SnCl5 + At

Comparison of physical properties of water [ 1 Answers ]

Just a quick general question: Q. Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a syrupy liquid with a relatively low vapour pressure and a normal boiling point of 152.2 degrees. Explain the differences in these physical properties compared to water. Thanks

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search