Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
    How to get permanent hair color out
    I had medium light brown hair with cool red/dark brown (low lights) streaks, 2 days ago went to my hairdresser told her how much I liked it and now I have reddish hair with dark brown and blond highlights?? Went back told her not really working, she argued asked me what I really wanted etc.. Embarrassed I left without anything being done. I am confused as to what to do, my hair isn't really overprocessed but I am too old for this look and just wanted a little more streaks not an overall look. Help??
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 08:59 PM

The first thing is to decide what you really want. From your description, you're confused. Decide on what you want. Then find another colorist who will listen to you.

Dec 19, 2009, 11:33 PM

I want brown hair with highligts. I am 50, this red glow is not me.maybe I need a picture. Haircolor is not what I do so the lingo can be tricky.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 05:38 AM

Use haircolor remover (ColorFix or Color Oops) to remove the current artificial color. Most salons will use L'Oreal color remover, Effasol, or Color Zap. These are bleaches. They do work, but they're hard on the hair. You can ask what they will use and ask if they will use ColorFix. You'll be better-served.

When you get to a "Clean Slate", re-dye the hair the brown you wish. Make sure you select a little lighter than you want because your hair has been over-processed and will probably turn out darker because of that. Once it's dyed the brown you want, use bleach to put in the highlights.

If the "red glow" is not you, make sure you use an ash brown shade and make sure the highlights are bleached light enough to get past the red.

Dec 20, 2009, 07:31 AM

Thank you, excellent answer
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 12:41 PM

Most "older" women (like my wife, for example) do better with lighter colors as they age. People who insist on trying to keep their hair dark usually look older (and more haggard) than they otherwise would have to.

Most professional colorists recommend going lighter as you age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I highlight my colored hair with liquid permanent hair color [ 1 Answers ]

Can I highlight my permanent colored hair with liquid permanent hair color

Permanent hair color -- washing out? [ 2 Answers ]

Well to give a little bit of a 'background' on me... when I was 14 I dyed my hair blond ( I am hispanic - brunette) It took a long time for it to grow out when I decided I didn't like it anymore (as u can imagine). So I am 23 now and my hari completely grew out the blond just a few years ago and it...

Permanent to semi-permanent hair color [ 1 Answers ]

I used semi-permanent hair color for years, then asked my stylist to change over to permanent. Now I'm trying to grow out my hair a bit and don't need to go to the shop as often, plus I'm convinced that the permanent dye is drying out my hair. So I want to go back to semi and I want to do it...

Permanent & Semi Permanent Hair Color [ 3 Answers ]

HELP - I want to remove the Black hair dye (my natural color is dark brown) but I've used BOTH semi and permanent shades of black colors. Besides going to a Salon what's my best alternative? Thank you.:confused: :confused:

Refreshing permanent hair color... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! New to this site. I found it by trying to Google my dilemma. I am 40 and have re-touched my permanent color/ brunette, every two weeks for years (my hair grows incredibly fast so I have to color that frequently). My problem is that I just noticed that I have long gray hair (my hair is long)...

View more questions Search