Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubye69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 11:19 PM
    What so I need to do to switch my 8 inch floor drain to a 2 in drain for shower basin
    I have a 8 in. floor drain in my basement that sits about 6 inches below the rest. It is being used for a open shower and now I am wanting to put a porcelain shower base. Need to know what I needed to do. House was built in 1972
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 18, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubye69 View Post
    I have a 8 in. floor drain in my basement that sits about 6 inches below the rest. It is being used for a open shower and now I am wanting to put a porcelain shower base. Need to know what i needed to do. House was built in 1972
    I'm assuming that you have a 2" drain line leaving the floor drain.
    Break up the floor and remove the floor drain. position a 2" trap where the drain will center in your shower base and pipe over to it. Run a raiser up from the trap a few inched over the floor line and cap it off so trash doesn't fall in and cement the hole back up. You're now in a position to set your shower base. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from...

Floor Drain Backup as well as catch basin [ 8 Answers ]

I've looked through previous questions but have not seen anything pertinent to my problem. Last November we had our main sewer line rodded out as a preventative measure. They also cleaned out the catch basin. We had no problems with back ups etc. Now (in the dead of Chicago Winter) our...

Floor drain clogged 2 inch pipe tried everything [ 4 Answers ]

My basement floor drain (from the hole in the floor to the main drain, about 15 ft.) is slow & sometimes clogged. When the clothes washer drains, water comes up on the floor, & slowly seeps down. I had a problem a few years ago with tree roots & big flood damage, had the old tile drain replaced...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

Shower Basin Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Tom was asking for more info but I wasn't registered, took care of that. NOW question is how is the flange removed from my old shower basin. I removed all tile sheetrock and basin to replace it with a four piece fiberglass unit. I can not remove the flange. Here is what I know: The drain is a 2...

View more questions Search