Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andy72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
    Can I operate 230 volt machinery with 480/277 volt
    480/277 volt 3 phase power is the proposed electrical service for a for a new building. Will I be able to power machinery that requires 230 volt 3 phase?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 10:35 PM

The building requirements were based on power consumption. It must have been determined that 480/277 3 ph was a good delivery system. It also means it's being delivered in a Y configuration.

277 is a single phase voltage and is the phase to neutral voltage. 277 V is typically used for lighting.

The 480 would more than likely be used to directly power chillers, ventillation and AC units.

120 VAC will be available. You know that's a given.

The 480 3 ph will also likely be reduced to 208 V 3 phase via a transformer. Most equipment will operate on 208 V 3 phase.

Motors will typically be fine. Some vacuum equipment like diffusion pumps that need a specific heat output may have to have elements changed. Same would be true for a hot water heater.

You need to speak up with your power requirements at 208 V 3 phase so that the proper transformer and switchgear is selected.

240 V can be provided, but 208 is more common.

Some areas, say a machine shop can benefit with a transformer and sub-panel mounted within the shop. This in my opinion is preferred.

What you will probably end up with is that the 480 stuff is all or mostly contained within the electrical room. You'll have a 277 panel(s) for lighting, 208 3 phase panels and 120 VAC panels.

Also remember to supply information pertaining to back up power from a generator, for these loads will need their own panel.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andy72 View Post
    480/277 volt 3 phase power is the proposed electrical service for a for a new building. Will I be able to power machinery that requires 230 volt 3 phase?
    I am not sure if you are aware, but this is a DIY site. This is one of the "Home & Garden" forums.

I suggest you contact the electrician doing this job for you.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 08:13 AM

Stan:

I'm not aware of anything that says that this site is DIY. It's a site for help. Can you provide a reference?

If the OP doesn't understand that voltage transformations are done with transformers and that his requirements need to be known to the builders, then we provided help.

Yes, Electrical & Lighting is in Home and Garden probably because it gets the best exposure there.

Can you tell me where the "Do it yourself" is in the following sub-topics of Engineering?

Chemical, civil, electrical, facilities, industrial and mechanical

While, technicly this probably falls under Facilities Engineering which is not a DIY topic, it's probably best placed in E & L. None of the above topics are DIY.

Some Plumbing questions could go into Facilities Engineering too.

It's a different level of expertise.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Stan:

I'm not aware of anything that says that this site is DIY. It's a site for help. Can you provide a reference?
    OK, you got me. Poor choice of wording. This site is not DIY, but this particular forum would seem to be. I seem to forget that there are many other non-trade forums here. I really only visit this one.
    The main heading is "Home". To me this means residential electrical work. I guess if a wannabe electrical contractor doesn't know what he is doing and needs help he is welcome to ask here. Most other message boards sites are either DIY or "pro only".

In the case of the OP, in my very humble opinion, his question does NOT belong here. This is a question for his electrician.
    This is obviously not a "home" or "home and garden" question. If there were a commercial electrical forum then that would be appropriate. Some sites do use this format.

I guess I am a stickler for the rules. Maybe this is because so few people follow them.

These comments are nothing more than my opinion and should be viewed as such. I have no position of authority around here.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 01:19 PM

That's essentially what I said. It belongs in "Facilities engineering", but the question will get more exposure here.

His question wasn't even DIY, nor Home and Garden, but it was a question about facilities.

In plumbing there was a question recently raised about losing hot water in a high rise building. Same deal, a facilities question, but it was posted in plumbing.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 03:05 PM
    I believe that many posters come here, directly to this Electrical & Lighting forum, by doing web searches.

They, thus, apparently, my guess, bypass the official heading of Home and Garden.

I have commented about this action myself in the past of not answering certain questions, and ultimately sending some people away from this website. Quite frankly I got tired of bringing it up.

My opinion is, if the questions has anything to do with electrical, let us all do our best to answer the question.

I think it would be beneficial on several points for the true homeowner DIY'er to see questions and answers about commercial and industrial topics.

My two cents, for what that is worth.
    ECHOJ1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
    As an electrician, I explaine what I do and/or what a client/DIY'ER needs. Nobody will attempt electrical work beyond their knowledge more than once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Can you run a 208 volt heating panel on 240 volt electrical supply [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baseboard electric heater that is 208 volts. My power supply is 240 volts. What will happen if I try to run m y 240 volt electrical supply to my 208 volt electric baseboard heater?

How to wire two 110 volt outlets from a generator to a 22 volt input [ 2 Answers ]

Have a generator with two 110 volt output's and would like to back feed a panel to the house that is already installed for this application. It has a 220 input to the house panel, can this be done .

81 volt measured at light switch in 120 volt circuit [ 3 Answers ]

The dimmer for a ceiling light/fan combo in the bedroom stopped working. When trying to replace it with an electronic dimmer swich, nothing would work, so I measured voltage from the wires in the box. I had 122V from black to black but 81V from red to black. What would cause such disparity? ...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search