Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clintvp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 08:24 AM
    What would cause a skunk smell in the house
    When entering the house we smell a skunk odor. It is not too strong but there none the less. We think it is coming from the basement. We have an open sump pump but we are not able to find the cause of the odor. Please help.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 09:09 AM

Please don't double-post

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...se-425833.html
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 08:56 PM

Looked like someone trashed the other post where I answered. Basically, use bleach.
    ahaskell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2015, 06:48 PM
    We have spent the last 4 weeks chasing a "skunk" odor. We checked for skunks, we extended all waste vent pipes, we serviced the septic system, we opened the walls in the area that it repeatedly appears. After checking EVERYTHING we found the issue! Please pass this on to anyone else that is experiencing! BATS!! It is Bats! You have to check the interior wall insulation for droppings and for the odor - which can build over time and when the pressure drops outside at night it seems to appear stronger. When you open the walls in the area that this is most prevalent, you have to check the wiring that runs between the walls and that they are sealed, if not you have to seal the openings between the walls with expansive foam. The wires are like a super highway allowing them access into other locations. You will have to remove the old insulation which will have the odor and you may need to replace the drywall. Bleach the areas and let them air out for a few days before you close the space. You also want to check for exterior entry points along the roof into the wall spaces. This is a terrible thing to experience in your home and shakes you to the core. WE are very happy that we found the issue and have resolved it. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious "skunk" smell in the house [ 16 Answers ]

We live in a split level house. We have a mysterious smell, like a skunk that comes and goes and not always in the same room. Sometimes it is in the hallway, other times near one of our fireplaces, sometimes in the stairwell, and these areas are separated by as much as 50 ft. Most of the time we...

Skunk Odor / Fallen Drain Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am at wits end, and need any advice that can be offered. We recently purchased a pier and beam home, and found main 4" drain line was fallen on ground (who knows how long it had been on ground). I have repaired problem, but I believe prior drainage on ground has caused a musky odor that smells a...

Treating a skunk problem [ 1 Answers ]

We've got several skunks in our apt community. They burrow under the porches. We've tried a variety of things but it is a big battle. I've gone so far as to flood the holes with water in the daytime - thinking I've drowned anything down there - and cemented in the hole, but within a few days...

View more questions Search