Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sideon76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Two wires one red one white trying to hook up a honeywell CT31
    I just bought a new thermostat cause the one I had was an old mercury one. I bought a Honeywell CT31. I look at the insructions it tells me to look at the setting markers on the old thermostat, but there are none. It also says do not pay attention to the colors of the wires. I did not know what else to try so I hooked the red to R and the white to W, did not help. I reversed them, and it still seems like it is not working. This is for heat only, I do not have an AC system. Please if you can provide me with some insight on this issue I would greatly appriciate it thanks.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 06:50 PM

Did you replace the stat because it was mercury, or was the furnace not working and you assumed it was the stat? Red to r and white to w is the correct wiring for your stat. sounds like there be more problems than just the stat at this point. Did you have power shut off to furnace while changing stat? If not, you may have blown a secondary fuse on the furnace. Please let us know more about your situation and we will do our best to help

Dec 16, 2009, 07:39 PM
    I turned power off in the room that I was putting the thermostat in on so there was no power applied to it at the time. I was thinking that there could be more wrong then the thermostat. I own a duplex and both apartments run off the same furnace, and the first floor is working fine, so I do not think it is a fuse on the furnace. I appriciate the quick response thank you, if you have anymore insight I would really like to hear it thanks again!

Dec 19, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Thank you mygirlsdad77 for responding to this. I found the issue the problem was I had to purge the lines. Everything is all set now.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 11:43 AM

Glad you got er going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do you hook up 5 electrical wires to 3? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a broken ceiling fan remote control on a Hunter ceiling fan with a Hunter All-Fan Control. The new All-Fan control has three wires coming out of it, but the ceiling fan that I have has a black, pink, gray, yellow and black/white wire coming out of it. Which wires go to which?

Where to hook up condenser wires? [ 5 Answers ]

I have found the pair of wires to hook up the condenser on to the wire terminals. Now I hook up one wire to the common and do I hook the other to the W connector or the Y connector on the controller terminals?

Replacing a Honeywell T8575D2003 with a Honeywell RTH8500. Having trouble with wires [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a Honeywell T8575D2003 with a Honeywell RTH8500. Didn't think there would be issues, manuals are all straight forward. However when I removed the T8575, the wiring set up did not match what the RTH8500 was expecting. The T8575 has 8 wires connected as follows < 1 ...

Where do the wires hook up to? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a package unit, I want to add electric heat. I received the heat package but with no instructions on where to hook-up the wires from the contactor energizing the heating elements. I understand that one of the wires should go to the w1 on my thermostat, but where does the other wire...

Which wires to I hook up to new thermostat? [ 5 Answers ]

I would be so grateful if someone could help me out. I have an old Janitrol thermostat, just purchased a Lux programmable one. The wiring doesn't all match. I'm having a hard time with the RC and RH, which have a jumper--this is on the new one. Here is the diagram for the old wiring: ...

View more questions Search