Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Can having close friends make you less attractive to guys?
    I'm 17 and in 6th form, I'm attractive and have a good personality, but I've been single since... well forever because the relationships you had as a child don't count do they?
    I've never wanted a relationship before until about a year ago, that's when I started feeling a bit lonely, and I noticed that there has never been one single boy that has given me a second glance.

I'm always in a "circle" of my friends, some of which aren't the most attractive or well mannered or most liked (AKA I'm friends with the people no one else want's to be friends with, and I love them very much) So I wondered if, because we've only ever hung out with each other and we're always together, whenever someone sees one of us, they picture ALL of us and it puts them off even looking?
    If so then it'll only get better when we leave high school and go onto getting jobs or going to university, because none of us smoke or drink, we don't go out in the village to "hang out" we only go out if there's something to do. =S

So does having really close friends stop people looking? I've been mistaken for going out with one of my male friends wbecause we're close, would that be something as well? :confused:
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess-IMYM View Post
    I'm always in a "circle" of my friends...
    There can be two dynamics in effect here. There may be the one as you described where you are judged by those you associate with, however that will occur regardless of who you associate with and will attract and repulse individuals based on their own preferences. You have no control over this save not associating with anyone and then you would be regarded as a loner which would attract/repel a different set of individuals.

I think a more likely reason is that a gaggle of gals is just plain intimidating to the lone teen guy trying to corner just YOU to get friendly with. You cannot sit behind your "shield" of friends and realistically expect hordes of guys to battle their way through just to have the privilege of talking to you.

So does having really close friends stop people looking?
    No.

I've been mistaken for going out with one of my male friends because we're close, would that be something as well?
    Yes, if you don't give off any signals to other guys that say "I'm available!".

I also notice that your name includes "Princess". Google "Princess complex" and see if anything applies. Often we look outwards for reasons other people treat us in a particular way when the focus would best be applied inward.

Dec 16, 2009, 04:07 PM

Hum, so I should stop acting the way I do now to my male friends to let people know I'm available?
    Should I expand who I'm friends with as well? Because I am friends with other people but I'm not really "with" them =/

Oh the "Princess" in my name isn't meaningful, My name is an inside-joke with one of my friends =]
    Hardware Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Hum, so I should stop acting the way i do now to my male friends to let people know I'm available?
    You don't have to stop acting the way you do now, but you do need to start acting in a way that makes it clear to interested guys that you are available, flirting, etc. Guys are dense. If you leave it up to us to figure out whether you're available or not, you're taking a risk.

Should I expand who I'm friends with as well?
    Yes, they may know a hot guy and hook you up with him.

Dec 16, 2009, 04:15 PM

Ok thank you =]

You've been really helpful! <3
    x
    Hardware Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Ok thank you
    You're welcome.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 02:33 PM

It would be stupid to get rid of your girlfriends for a guy. And if you're only wanting a guy to relieve your lonliness, I would start re-thinking a few things. To answer your question-
    Having close friends doesn't make you less attractive to most guys. In fact, it is a very healthy, and very human thing to have close friends. You meet guys through your close friends, and they can be a big support to you in a relationship.

Dec 17, 2009, 02:45 PM

I wasn't planning on getting rid of my friends, not at all! Just expanding with the ones I don't talk to often.
    Should I mention a few of my friends are rather on the unpopular side and have a bit of a "reputation" for being weird? So I should rephrase and say, does being surrounded by, weird, unpopular friends make you less attractive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I make myself more attractive [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, I'm Kortney, I'm 15 almost 16 years old and I don't think that I'm that attractive. Neither do the guys. I want guys to notice me. I have lots of guy friends but no boyfriend. And have never had one. Everyone tells me I'm not ugly but the guys prefer my friends over me any day. I...

What do guys find more attractive? Blonde or dark hair? [ 20 Answers ]

I just want to see what guys find more attractive. Ive been very blonde and almost black but now I need to decide what I want again. Ive asked my boyfriend many times, but he doesn't have an opinion on it. I know you'll say it "depends on the girl", but I want guys opinions. What is better? Blonde...

Guys, can you become aroused just by looking at a fully-dressed, attractive woman? [ 19 Answers ]

My question precisely :confused: My friend thinks this happened to her the other day. A guy she thinks fancies her was looking at her, starting at her face for about 15-20 minutes, and she could tell he was all aroused

Do guys think abs are attractive on a girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am 14 and a softball player. I've asked my guy friends if they think abs are sexy. They usually say "depends who it's on." so, if your a guy could you tell me? Thanks ;)

I think I just lost the last of my close friends [ 4 Answers ]

ugh. I am SOOOOOOOO depressed. I did something stupid, and it probably cost me a LOT more than I was prepared to lose. Its kind of a complicated story, so I will be using the following names to represent the characters. best friend = my best friend girlfriend = HIS girlfriend friend = my...

View more questions Search