Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Printer offline? Only printing with USB
    I have a HP Photosmart C4500 series.

For some reason it only print when I have the USB connected.

I have tried:
    -Canceling ALL documents that were trying to be printed
    -Going to the "Control Panel" then "Printers" and it says it's offline and when I try to "Configure a Port" it says "An error occurred during port configuration. Access denied."

Well if anyone can help that would be great!

Question: Should I just uninstall my printer and just reinstall it?

Thanks!
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 07:34 AM

From my experience, the Wireless cards in printers, especially HP, are unreliable, so if it's possible, use the RJ45 jack instead.

First thing you should do is make sure your printer actually sees your router, there are two ways to do this. If you know the name or IP of your printer you could ping it (Windows Key + R then type in the command "ping" followed by the printer's IP or hostname), or, you could login to your router's control panel and see if it's IP is registered in the routing table, sometimes called the client table.

You had a post a while ago asking about data encryption on your router, it's possible you forgot to set the key on your printer so the connection request from the printer is being refused by the router. You'll have to login to your printer's web based control panel by typing it's IP in the URL bar of your browser.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 08:33 AM

Turn off the printer. Turn off the router. Turn on the router. Wait a few minutes. Turn on the printer.

In the future make sure your printer using a static IP address. I have an HP 2015dn laser printer that drops the IP address unless restarted. It's a known firmware issue, just haven't upgraded the firmware. You can't do it over the network with this printer. Turning it off and on will restart the print queue without issues except I might loose one document.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I just completely removed it from my laptop and reinstalled it.

If it does fail again however, I will use the information you guys have given me.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 09:43 PM

Also remember to check whether the print queue is stopped.

Always forget the easy stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Printer Printing Blanks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a epson stylus cx3200 and it will scan onto my computer but when I print it only comes out blank... I put brand new cartriges in and everything... please help...

Printer not printing all of writing [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hp desktop f380 all in one printer and I print off invoices. The printer will not print off what I type inside of the invoice.

Printing from a network printer [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently using a laptop computer, and would like to print documents from my printer through wireless access. How can I do this. My laptop(a Toshiba Brand) is compatible with my HP PSC 770x1 printer.

Printer not printing properly [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems printing with my Canon BJC-2100 printer. I have put new ink in but still printing with two white lines in the middle of the words that are printing.

Laser Printer not Printing [ 2 Answers ]

First of All MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.. Having problem printing on my HP 2600n Laser Jet Printer.. Tried re-connecting (USB) the printer but still no luck & it keeps on showing the OFFLINE status... Please advise...

View more questions Search