Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmp44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 10:58 AM
    write the equation 0f the hyperbola
    from data the average x-intercept of the path along which the sonic boom can be heard is -8 miles and the average focas is -12 miles,describe the hyperbola
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmp44 View Post
    from data the average x-intercept of the path along which the sonic boom can be heard is -8 miles and the average focas is -12 miles,describe the hyperbola
    A hyperbola, like an ellipse, has an a and b value corresponding to the semi-major and semi-minor axes.

Center the hyperbola at the origin and it's focal axis is parallel to the x-axis.

We can find b by using

c is the distance of the foci from the origin and a is the distance of the vertex from the origin. These are given. Use those to find b.

Then, plug those values into the equation of a hyperbola

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding Standard Equation Of Hyperbola, Given Foci and Vertices. [ 4 Answers ]

Find Standard Equation of Hyperbola Given Foci: (-8,0) and (8,0) and Vertices: (-6,0) and (6,0).

How do you write the equation for this sequence 10, 12, 16, 22, 30 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How do you write an equation for this sequence whose difference increases by two each time? 10, 12, 16, 22, 30

Write an equation of a hyperbola given foci are (3,5), (3,-3), vertex (3,4) [ 1 Answers ]

write and equation of a hyperbola, given foci is (3,5), (3,-3), vertex is (3,4)

How do I write the equation? [ 2 Answers ]

Helen Weller invested $10,000 in an account that pays 10% simple interest. How much additional moneymust be invested in an account that pays 13% simple interest so that the average return on the two investments amounts to 11%? I know the answer is $5,000.00 but I am unsure how to set up the...

Write the balance equation [ 3 Answers ]

Could you please help me to complete this equation , I get the major product but I didn't how to write others.. :confused: 1- Al^3+ + NH4Cl + 3NH4OH... > Al(OH)3 + 2- Ni^2+ + NH4Cl + NH4OH + Na2S... > NiS + 3- Ca^2+ + NH4Cl + NH4OH + (NH4)2CO3... > CaCO3 +

View more questions Search