Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Dec 15, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Obsessing Over Men
    I've been having this problem with my ex- obsessing over what has been and what could be. We have completely different goals and ambitions and I'm actually the one that broke it off with him. I'm not OK with being with someone who doesn't seem to have any dreams and I know that I can't change people. I know that he is not a man that I want to be with but I still have this empty feeling in my stomach that I assume I have because I miss him. Why? Self esteem? Just missing cuddling in bed? Why do I miss him soooo much? I've had this problem with every ex I've had. I'm so much happier when I'm single. When I'm in a relationship I have no self confidence, I'm anxious all the time, I've lost balance. I just want to feel what my head is saying.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 01:43 AM

There is nothing harder to break than a well-established "habit"... and your BF is a habit that will take some time to get over.

That's a good sign, it means for the most part, you're not "trivial", that your heart is in play.

But an even better sign is that your heart is not in control of your life, your very smart brain is. Not everyone is able to balance smart and heart. Good for you!

You're going to keep having these occasional withdrawal pains, perfectly normal and to be expected. But as is also true of any addiction and the attempt to get it out of your life, it's going to hurt a bit until the habit breaks its hold on your spirit, too.

That, too, will come, and sooner than you think.

Stay strong, don't feed the feelings that come with additional thoughts and pinings, just let them come and go.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
    It sounds like a case of dependence. Anytime you're in a relationship, you've created a dependence on your significant other. Once you break up, there's an empty feeling. So you find ways to fill that void, such as through a rebound or wanting your ex back.

* What you need to do is learn to love yourself and learn to be independent. Learn to be single again.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2009, 11:43 AM

Leaving the past in the past is a matter of disciplining your mind. These are thoughts and feelings that will appear (sometimes out of nowhere) throughout your entire life. While you are married, you will no doubt think about your ex's- you may even have some feelings for them in your future relationships. You have to learn how to let the past go. When you have a good time with someone or something- it is only natural to miss it when it's gone, especially if it was long-term or you were somehow attatched to it. Don't obsess over what was... you cannot change something that has already come and past. By fretting and stewing you're only hurting yourself.

You also need to overcome thoughts of "what could've happened?" or "what am I missing out on?" When you want to leave your boyfriend, a relationship won't work... The only thing that could've happened, is a post-poned break up.

Move onward, and upward... And discipline your mind so you aren't dwelling on the past. You like your single life, so bask in it, and take advantage of it. Hang out with your friends, and do things you like to do to get your mind off what is history.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

You sound like my ex, hehehe...

You already knew in your gut.

Learn from this one & move forward.

Recognizing what's truly important to you. And how that may differ from others.
    fearxfear Posts: 49, Reputation: 8

Dec 17, 2009, 08:34 AM

This thread help me allot.. make allot sense.. now I need to tell the brain to listen
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 11:00 AM

You will benefit greatly by being single, and just enjoy doing your own thing, with no worries about answering to any one else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do men always cheat on me [ 18 Answers ]

Im26 and single with a child and think I'm an OK person, all I have ever wanted is to be happy like everyone does and that to me means is me my daughter and a partner but all of the men I come across cheat on me.. and I just don't understand where I keep going wrong time and time again this happenes

How do I intimidate men [ 11 Answers ]

Okay, met this cool guy at a party about 6yrs. Ago. He always remember me but I never quite remembered him until he'd explain how we met. It wasn't until much later that I realized one day this guy is a good guy and I'd like to get to know him better. So I pursued him by asking him out but made...

How to ward off married men, men I don't want? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if there's something I'm doing wrong. I keep attracting these married men who or guys who I know don't care about me, but want to use me. And I'm not at all interested in any of them. I know I may be a kind, nice person but I'm no dummie either. And I tell these men I am celibate and...

Why are greek men liars [ 18 Answers ]

How do you mend a broke heart

Obsessing over this. [ 2 Answers ]

First off – for those of you who have effectively lost weight and kept it off, I praise you. I cannot seem to lose even half of a pound. Also, I obsessively think about losing weight. If I ate good and worked out as much as I think about it, I'd be so tiny I would almost be invisible. I'm not...

View more questions Search