Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Dec 15, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Medical terminology?
    I recently went to the ER for lower ab pain-they did an ultrasound both abdonimal and transvag and also did a doppler veinous ultralsound. They said I had a corpus lutem ovarian cyst on my left ovary of about 5cm. Well today I went back to the hospital to get a copy of my medical records-i got the ultrasound report and also the ER report. In the ER report under the heading pregnancy status they wrote patient denies. Is that what they normally write if you tell them you do not think you are? Or could I be pregnant and not know it? I am really confused I do have a mental illness bipolar disorder so is it possible they may not want to tell me until I am further along or is it more likely I am right and just not pregnant?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 03:14 PM
    It's not that they don't want to tell you. They can't include that in the medical report.

What is meant by "patient denies" is that you actually denied you were pregnant. It's really just that simple.

Dec 15, 2009, 04:27 PM

Does it mean I am pregnant but I said I wasn't? It is confusing-it is hard to know whether people would not want to say anything because of my mental health issues.ITs just that I have gotten both positive and negative pregnancy tests also I have been having strange symptoms since I had surgery on an ovarian cyst oct 6 2009. We have unprotected sex and have been trying for a baby over a year. Maybe these symptoms are just due to the cysts I have?
    Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Corpus luteum cyst: This type of functional ovarian cyst occurs after an egg has been released from a follicle. After this happens, the follicle becomes what is known as a corpus luteum. If a pregnancy doesn't occur, the corpus luteum usually breaks down and disappears. It may, however, fill with fluid or blood and persist on the ovary. Usually, this cyst is found on only one side and produces no symptoms.
    Found here... Ovarian Cysts Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on eMedicineHealth.com

It does not mean you are pregnant but said you weren't it simply means that you said you weren't.

From what you wrote above, you are not pregnant.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    Does it mean I am pregnant but i said i wasn't? it is confusing-it is hard to know whether people would not want to say anything because of my mental health issues.ITs just that i have gotten both positive and negative pregnancy tests also i have been having strange symptoms since i had surgery on an ovarian cyst oct 6 2009. We have unprotected sex and have been trying for a baby over a year. Maybe these symptoms are just due to the cysts i have?
    When you go in for medical testing they have to ask if you're pregnant.

When they asked you, you said "no".

So, when they wrote up the report, they verified that you had denied being pregnant when asked.

Had you told them it was possible they would have probably done tests to confirm before the ultrasound or any other procedures were done.

Dec 16, 2009, 09:27 AM

Today I woke up with very light spotting and heavy cramping-the spotting only lasted about two hours. I am not sure if I am starting my period or if my ovarian cyst has ruptured? I am wondering about the cyst because that whole side of my body hurts very bad and also when I pee it smells like puss. I am going to see my gyn today and find out what's up they said if I am bleeding they cannot do an ultrasound but that my doc will do a pelvic exam.

Dec 18, 2009, 08:46 AM

I went to the obgyn and she did a pelvic exam. She said I was probably going to start my period soon then they also did a transvaginal ultrasound. The tech did not really say anything to me and the doc only said everything looked normal. She also said that the cyst was down to 2.5 cm. While I was getting dressed in the ultrasound room I looked at the screen and it said my name. It also said my uterus lining measured 17mm is this normal if you are not pregnant? I got my period the next day but it was very light. Today it seems to be stopping but this is only the 2nd day? I see my shrink today maybe he can double my anti-pyschotic so I stop thinking I am pregnant all the time!
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
    This is all normal. The ultrasound tech can't say anything to you because they aren't trained to interpret the ultrasound. That is what the doctor and the radiologist are for.

Dec 22, 2009, 09:30 AM

Your Open QuestionShow me another »
    Can you experience round ligament pain if you are having a false pregnancy?
    I have been having a lot of pregnancy symptoms ever since I had a lap surgery done to drain an ovarian cyst oct 6 2009. I had very light vaginal bleeding oct 11-18 which could have been a period or just post op bleeding from surgery. I had a very short 3 1/2 day period in nov on nov 16. On the 24 I went to the ER in severe abdominal pain. They did an ultrasound both pelvic and vaginal then they decided to do a doppler too with no explantion. We have been having unprotected sex for over a year now with no luck concieveing. After my surgery I was told I had endometriosis stage 3 and one tube blocked. I got another period I guess dec 16 which was very light lasting only 3 days usual periods for me last seven. Ever since my surgeryi have had cramping everday,feel like throwing up every morning my breasts are both larger and sore. A new symptom is constant hip pain on my right side I have had both faint positive and negative tests hpts-also I have bipolar disorder-could this all just be in my mind-false pregnancy disorder? Would that cause a swollen ab and hip pain?

Dec 22, 2009, 09:35 AM

Also I saw my shrink the other day and he said that this is probably something pyschological but then I asked him to increase my meds. He refused to do this-he also suggested I just relax try not to worry and eat more potato chips. I felt like he was teasing me the entire time-if I am just crazy that's fine but if I were pregnant I would need to know. I am just confused as to why I am having these symptoms.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Pseudo pregnancies, or psychological pregnancies are common in women with mental health issues. You "psych" yourself into believing that you are pregnant when you physically are not.

You would be surprised what the mind can do. I've had a patient who SWORE she was in labor, and all signs pointed to her being in full term labor, however she only had a full bladder. Once we emptied the bladder all signs and symptoms of pregnancy were gone.

If you have had these ultrasounds, I can pretty much assure you that you are NOT pregnant.

I just don't understand your doctor's reference to "potato chips."

Dec 22, 2009, 09:49 AM

Yeah I do not get the potato chip thing either-i did tell him I keep waking up with swollen hands though.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Emily...

Are you wanting to be pregnant? Or are you trying NOT to get pregnant?

How long ago were you diagnosed with Bipolar disorder?

What meds are you on? Do you take the meds daily as prescribed?

I mean no harm, please excuse me for asking, but do you crave attention? Are you compliant with your medications?

An ultrasound ruled out pregnancy, so you are NOT pregnant? Why is it that you still continue to insist that this is a possibility?

Dec 22, 2009, 10:37 AM

j9 at the er after my ultrasound I overheard the doc talking about me on the phone he said my name the measurements of the ovarian cyst and then something about 12 weeks.Do they normally count ovarian cysts in weeks? I was diagnosed as bipolar 1 in 1992. I have not had an episode since summer 2007. I take my meds everday as prescribed-my doc has me on 1050mg of lithium 200mg of serequel ER and 30 mg of celexa.
    I do want a child very much but have never had symptoms like this before. The periods arevery light like spotting and they start and stop. But I have endo stage 3 and normally have heavy periods. As far as wanting attention I have only discussed these symptoms with doctors, my boyfriend and my best girlfriend. No one even knows we are trying for a baby-we are not married but have been living together for 9 yrs.

Dec 23, 2009, 11:58 AM

Also since I have been diagnosed with a small pitatuary microandenoma I think after the holidays I will go back to my primary care doc and see if she wants to do another mri-maybe the tumor has gotten bigger and is producing hormones causing these false pregnancy symptoms?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical terminology [ 3 Answers ]

What does asystoli mean? I am not sure if I spelled it correct.

Architectural terminology [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I two sets of drawings for the same property. I cannot however figure out the levels. Can anyone explain why in one map fgl = 91.135 and in the other map FFL = 31.94. The references are for the same spot. In another drawing(ffl 91.135) there are references to TOK or TDK These would appear...

Terminology [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I need to know the word(s) people use for this: Some companies sometimes ask their employees to take some time (a week or two) off without pay when the employers are running out of money. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Lien : Terminology [ 3 Answers ]

What does "Lein" mean in Banking world>?

Terminology question... [ 3 Answers ]

This is a little weird but does anyone know what "pathological distention of the bowel" means?

View more questions Search