Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LockedKey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 12:33 PM
    How much does it cost to replace the toyota avalon ignition cylinder?
    I have tried jiggling the steering wheel, turning the steering wheel forcefully each side, overriding the transmission to change the gears, spraying WD 40 into the cylinder, and lightly tapping the cylinder with a hammer. Anything else I can do, or does the dealer have to fix it? And if so, how much will that cost me?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 12:45 PM

What year?

I had an Avalon ignition cylinder replaced. It was very expensive. I took it to a local dealer (we don't have a Toyota dealer in town), and he replaced it, but to get it to work, he had to tow it to the Toyota dealer in a nearby town who fiddled to make it work. It cost me around $600.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 12:49 PM

Check for a faulty automatic transmission gear position switch. See if this link offers any help, even though it's written regarding Hondas the concept should be applicable:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post258005

I would also test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter, if the key is stuck.
    LockedKey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 01:12 PM

It's a 1995 Toyota Avalon if that helps. WHOA, $600??
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedKey View Post
    It's a 1995 Toyota Avalon if that helps. WHOA, $600????
    That quote may have had other work done and probably included towing and/or new keys.
    The O.E. part price is around $100.00 and should take about an hour or so to replace. Slightly more if the lock cylinder needs coded.
    Note: if equipped with Remote Keyless Entry/Theft Deterent, the replacement keys are very expensive: about $200.00+ each, plus programming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Toyota Avalon Key Cylinder Replacement [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove my key cylinder for a 97 Toyota Avalon?

96 toyota avalon ac compressor [ 0 Answers ]

Thanks so much for the response! Ive changed it out as stated- now I'm wondering if the thing needs to be hooked up all the way in order for me to drive it? I can't do the recharge and oil right now.

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry? [ 1 Answers ]

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry?

How do you remove a 1996 Toyota Avalon ignition switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I am having difficulty with the ignition switch on a 1996 Toyota Avalon. The one and only key won't turn in the switch. My next step is to remove the ignition switch and rekey it or replace it along with a new set of keys. Where do you start if you are a do-it-yourselfer. >Moved from Forum Help<

1996 Toyota avalon ignition [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the ignition won't turn past the start position, any ideas?

View more questions Search