Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogmatic66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 12:31 PM
    Whirlpool bath drains slow
    I just moved into a new house and have a new whirlpool bathtub for the first time, but no owner's manual. After a month or so of living, the water is draining slower and I need to clean the hair out of the filter/trap. The drain plug just pushes down to close draining or pushes up to open. I can't remove it to see where the filter is. The plug does unscrew, but there is just a threaded plastic tube sort of thing underneath. How do I get this off to find where the filter is? I'm flumoxed!

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2004, 05:23 PM
    Hey Dog, There is no filter in the drainage system and you can't get to the trap by way of the drain. Try this, tonight pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it out with 2 or 3 pans of boiling water. Most tub, shower and lavatory clogs are caused by hair and grease. The bleach makes it slippery and will began to desolve it and the boiling water will loosen the grease and flush it out into the main. If that doesn't get it click on back and we'll go to plan "B" and I'll walk you through snaking out the whirlpool tub branch line. Regards, Tom
    dogmatic66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2004, 07:25 AM
    Great, thanks, I'll try that, but will boiling water loosen any of the pipe seals or is it perfectly safe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2004, 07:31 AM
    The boiling water won't hurt the drainage system. It will loosen the grease and allow the clog to be flushed out. The only other alternative would be to remove the overflow plate and snake out the branch line through the trap. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

View more questions Search