Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd cooperate FULLY

3 17.65%
  • I'd cooperate - but have a lawyer with me at all times

11 64.71%
  • I'd STOP talking to the cops

3 17.65%
  • No, I didn't say whether you're guilty or not. If you are, would that fact change how you voted?

1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 08:06 AM
    The Cops and You
    Hello:

Let's say your spouse was murdered. You've cooperated with the cops the first time around, but now they want to talk to you a second time... It was clear to you from the first interview, that the cops thought YOU had something to do with it..

Please vote for what you'd do. Nobody will see how you voted so you can be candid. I'd also like to hear what you think.

You can vote for the last option and ONE other.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 09:07 AM

Sometimes when you do cooperate even with an attorney present the cops can still "look" hard at you as the perpetrator of the crime. But on the other hand, if you are innocent the cops will find the killer - eventually.

But look at good old Susan Smith. She didn't lie that convincingly and got her tit in the wringer due to it.

OJ would have been found gulity had he not had the bucks in the bank to buy his way out of the mess he did.

The Menendez brothers lied but they did it.

Claus VonBulow did it but somehow wriggled free of the conviction.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    But on the other hand, if you are innocent the cops will find the killer - eventually
    Hello twink:

Not if they convict YOU of it. Something like 143 people who were on death row, have been proven innocent through DNA evidence... Some guy in Texas was convicted of setting a fire that killed his family. He was executed a few years ago, and now they say the fire wasn't arson at all.

The cops aren't multitaskers. Once they have a perp in their sites, ALL other possibilities cease to exist.

If you did it, don't talk to the cops. If you DIDN'T do it, that is ESPECIALLY the time you shouldn't talk to the cops - lawyer or not.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 01:09 PM

Ever see the TV show "Snapped" where wives knock off their hubbies? It's been on for a few years now. The killers usually mess up on the little details.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 31, 2009, 07:47 PM

Never talk to police without a lawyer, they don't care if you are innocent, they would gladly frame an innocent person just to advance their careers. Once they have a suspect in mind, they will do everything they can to convict that person and not look for the real perpetrator. Police prefer to target a convenient suspect and prefer law-abiding people because they are often naïve and too trusting of the police and may not be as aware of their rights.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 07:55 PM

I think far too often cops or even one cop will try to make a name for himself and zero in on whoever to build a case .While overlooking other potential witnesses.
    It must be an ego thing ,Im right and Im going to prove it and then the circumstantial evidence mounts.
    Dedicating all their time to framing a certain individual.
    Omitting crucial evidence to the contrary of their opinion and that type of thing.
    Its frightening.
    It could happen to any one of us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 08:24 PM

Well I would not have talked to them in the first place.

My first wife was murdered, and yes of corse husband was first suspect.
    * we were not living together at the time**

The police never looked at or for any other suspect besides me from what I can tell.

Had I not been on a government institution, on video tape in a secured area most likely I would hve had the excon name. Being innocent or not having real evidence does not mean they won't come after you
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 21, 2010, 02:43 AM

It is important to understand that the police are a disciplinary force. To resist discipline in any way, is tantamount to a crime in their eyes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Cops and you [ 40 Answers ]

Hello: Let's say there is a confrontation between a citizen and a cop... Who, between the two, is entitled to respect by the other?? Me?? I believe the citizen is. After all, the citizen is the sovereign and the cop works for him... However, I believe those folks of the right wing...

How many cops? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello: The cajoler asked how many convicted felons there are in these good ol United States. Got me to wondering... How many cops are there? While we're at it, how many different federal police departments are there? Which ones? I'll bet you can't name 'em all. excon

He's calling the cops! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 7wk old baby boy from my ex and I am not letting him take my son to his house or anywhere that I am not at. He is threatening to have the cops come to my house and demand that I let him take my son to his house for visits. I don't think he would ever hurt my son, but he does drink a...

Can cops pursue? [ 7 Answers ]

Are cops allowed to pursue motorcycles in the state of virginia?

Cops mess up bad [ 1 Answers ]

This morning on the way to work I got pulled over. The cop said he ran my plate number and he said my license had expired. I just got my license in march. I guess he couldn't read because right on my lic. It said it expires to 2008. They impounded my car. I lost a day at work. Cause they messed...

View more questions Search