Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Giving and receiving christmas gifts
    Every year I buy christmas gifts for my 2 nephews (my husbands brothers kids) We very rarely see them as that side of the family are not close. We have never met the youngest nephew! We pass the gifts onto my mother in law who then passes them onto my husbands brother for the children. We receive nothing for our children and never even get a thank you phone call for the gifts given. I know we shouldn't give to receive but I feel its getting rather silly, buying gifts for children we never see. I have bought gifts again this year but wanted some advice for the future. Do you think it would be acceptable to stop giving christmas gifts to them after this year?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 11:33 AM

Yes.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Dec 16, 2009, 11:39 AM

I think it would be acceptable especially if they can't even say thanks. I'm sure they still appreciate it, but they probably wouldn't care that you didn't get them gifts if they aren't going to give you a gift anyway.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't send the gifts you bought this year. Yes it's about giving, but the least they could do is call and say thank you.

If they won't put in the effort to do that then I wouldn't put in the effort to send any more gifts.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 02:29 AM
    I agree with the others. The gifts are meaningless and the parents should be ashamed that they do not have them ring you up to thank you, or take the time with the kids to sit them down and write a thank you. You are contributing to the entitlement syndrome when they think they just receive and receive and never give anything back in return.

Next year I would be inclined to send a Christmas card to each one, and tell them that you wish them a Merry Christmas. That would be all I would be willing to do.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Yep. Agree with all the others - stop the gifts - what's the point? (the card is a great idea).

You put time and effort into something that is not reciprocated.

Yes, we shouldn't give to receive, but in the end it'd about reciprocity. If you get no acknowledgment at all then it's time to stop.

Sad thing is, they probably won't even notice!
    JaneDoughnut Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Dec 1, 2011, 06:51 PM
    I have similar predicament with my adult daughter and my grandson, nearly 18 -- in that I receive no thank you's for gifts sent for their birthdays and holidays. It's impossible not to think of them on their birthdays and certain holidays but opting to being a complete doormat, I have finally quit giving them gifts and have whittled it down to cards and a box of home baked cookies for the winter holidays. If I don't get a thank you for the cookies this year I will just send store bought cookies the next year. If I don't get a thank you then, I will quit sending them goodies.

Oh, well - their loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sending thank yous for Christmas gifts? [ 3 Answers ]

Should one send thank you notes or cards for Christmas gifts received if you reciprocated with a gift? I never have before, but now deal with clients that give me gifts thanking me for services and I also give them gifts thanking them for being good clients... and I'm just wondering where it's all...

Christmas gifts [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I'm getting stressed! I haven't got much money and I have MANY friends and family who I need to buy christmas prezzies for. What can I buy them I need ideas. Its so annoying!! PLEASE HELP?! An also I really do not know what I want for christmas. I have 100 pound left to buy whatever I...

Etiquette on receiving monetary gifts [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having a surprise going away party for my son who is headed off to college. We don't need gifts, however, we do need money. I've created this flyer to be distributed out to family and friends, but I don't know how to ask for money on the flyer as I would with a wedding announcement...

Asking for Christmas gifts etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want." I was appalled at this rude...

View more questions Search