Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goose27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
    o-1 visa do I need need to pay NY city tax, have been in NYC for 7 months
    Hi, I hold O-1 visa. I'm from the UK. I have been working in NYC for the past seven months, do I need to pay city tax? I will be doing the same next year also but living in New Jersey.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 12:30 PM
    The O visa is a work visa, so if you worked AND lived in NYC for seven months in 2009, you will need to pay BOTH NY state and NY city income taxes as a part-year resident.

Once you move to New Jersey, you are relieved from paying the NY CITY income tax, but you pick up the requirement to file a New Jersey state income tax return.

You will probably pay NO New Jersey income tax due to a credit authorized for the NY state taxes paid, but a New Jersey return WILL have to be filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 (1 semester) + OPT (2 months) + H1b visa (3 months), how to file Taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I came on F1 visa and graduated in May 2008 (studied 1 semester in 2008) then I started my job as a physical therapist on OPT base for 2 months and I got H1b visa and worked 3 more months in 2008, 1) how do I file taxes? 2) which things do I have keep in mind while I file taxes? Fairly new...

F-1 visa and New York city tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently F-1 visa holder and working in NY on OPT. I learned from the previous questions and answers that I don't have to pay the New York City Tax. But the problem now is that my employer keeps withholding the NYC income tax for me, regardless my request. Could you please let me know...

New york city tax for opt visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been on OPT status since I started work in June, and have heard from others that I shouldn't be paying nyc income tax, since I'm not technically a resident. Can you confirm or point me in the right direction? Many thanks

New York City Tax for E2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreigner with E1 visa residing in Queens, NY since April 2006. I am currently working in Manhatan. Do I have to pay the full New York City Tax? Thank you very much.

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

View more questions Search