Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Windows 2 Hard drives/ 2 Operating Systems
    I installed Vista in a 200 Gig Hard Drive with all updates, pulled the hard drive. Then Installed a XP Pro SP3 on a 40 Gig Hard Drive. Now I want to hook up both on same machine, have both set for Cable Select when it boots, it can operate on the XP, and it see the Vista drive and files and folders, but doesn't load Vista. Can this be done witout Partition Software. Not a Computer Expert, Type slow.
    I am reasking in different category in hopes of more answers. Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 07:43 AM

I've created dual-booting systems before. Unfortunately, not with Vista. Most people put the older operating system on the first partition and the newer operating system on the next. I think that's how you have it. The BOOT.INI file in the root of the C: drive, determines which drive to boot from. There might have to be a boot loader file for Vista, but I'm unsure. Boot.INI is a hidden file, so you'll have to view hidden and system files.

Microsoft has a page showing an example of a dual-boot XP/2000 system.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

And Tom's Guide has a thread that discusses this:

boot.ini file for vista and xp

Be sure and check out EasyBCD:

EasyBCD Download

Here are a couple of references to dual booting XP with Vista

How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first)

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 2 Hard drives/ 2 Operating Systems [ 8 Answers ]

I installed Vista in a 200 Gig Hard Drive with all updates, pulled the hard drive. Then Installed a XP Pro SP3 on a 40 Gig Hard Drive. Now I want to hook up both on same machine, have both set for Cable Select when it boots, it can operate on the XP, and it see the Vista drive and files and...

Operating Systems [ 1 Answers ]

Noticed on here you have similar situations & I had Windows ME on my computer & it kept having issues so I was going to install Windows 2000... went to do this & it should have got rid of Windows ME but didn't & now I have 2 operating systems on my computer & I can't get them off to reinstall back...

2 operating systems [ 8 Answers ]

I took my computer to get fixed and when I got it back it said I have 2 operating systems on here how do I take one off without losing any of my stuff??

Operating systems [ 1 Answers ]

How do I keep PC from going into hibernation

Windows operating systems [ 2 Answers ]

I received a new Dell computer for the holidays and am not happy with the Windows XP Home operating system that came on it. I have a hard drive that has Windows 98SE and would prefer to have it on the system. What is the best procedure to follow to change the operating system on a preconfigured...

View more questions Search