Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    april.zoom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 01:15 AM
    Metamorphic viruses and polymorphic viruses?
    Am studying the security exam. I am a bit confused about viruses. I understand that polymorphic viruses changes their signature when infect a file every time, I think metamorphic viruses do same thing. I could not find the differences among them. Could you please help me about this differences?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 09:51 AM

A polymorphic virus is a type of encrypted virus that not only uses separate keys on infection, but changes its decrypting module.

A metamorphic virus on the other hand rewrites itself completely on each infection.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 09:58 AM
    In a polymorphic virus, if you can decrypt the virus, it is the same across the board. The encryption changes per infection, and the module is rewritten making separate signatures on each infection. The antivirus program has to decrypt it via an emulator and then compare the signature there.

Metamorphic viruses become completely different programs. Their problem is however, they require a metamorphic engine module, making them very large and complex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me everything you know about computer viruses! [ 3 Answers ]

I have two computers, and they both have viruses. We got internet a few months ago and that's when all this stuff started happening. We were getting all these pop ups saying we had 100's of viruses on one of our computers, when you would get on, everything would be fine for a few minutes and then...

Computer viruses [ 1 Answers ]

How to create benefecial computer viruses using C

Deleting viruses [ 3 Answers ]

Will deleting viruses from my friends computer make get it more free space percentage?:confused:

Viruses and Infections [ 6 Answers ]

What's the difference in "viruses" and "infections"? I use PC Tools Spyware Doctor which scans the computer daily. Everyday, there are (X) amount of infections on the computer, which I always clean up. So what's the difference? And how dangerous are these infections?

Hi there anyone its about computer viruses... [ 5 Answers ]

Firt I want to thank you who every you are by reading this... now I have a computer problem... but I want to know first what is the best anti spy or virus should I use... I have tried spybots, adaware, Microsoft beta, trojan hunter, norton 2005, zero pop-up, spyware doctor, symantic, avast... but...

View more questions Search