Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Dec 13, 2009, 04:52 PM
    My cat! What's wrong?
    Ok. I figured I better ask you guys. I want the experts. I want whatever medical expertise I can get. I have no money to get my cat to the vet. I wish with everything in me that I did. My cat is my child and I don't know what I will do when something happens to her but I have NO MONEY! I need help.

My cat is almost 16 years old. I feed her Fancy Feast at least twice daily... sometimes 3 times. She always has fresh water. She is both and indoor and outdoor cat, although lately I have not been letting her outside because she is so ill. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old.

Lately when I rub her I have noticed what seems to be bumps on her skin... like a scab sort of. But they are not scabs. What it really is is clumps of hair and skin falling out. She doesn't seem to be affected when I try to scratch it out of her fur so I guess it's not painful but still. She is also throwing up. It looks sort of what you would imagine a sneeze to look like. Ya know, kind of mucusy like yet it's light brownish. And it has hair in it. Then she will throw up and it is bright green like you would imagine antifreeze to look. It's not antifreeze but that's the color of it. She will no longer use the litter box to poop in. She either poops in the bathtub or behind the garbage can. I haven't noticed her peeing recently at all but when she does she does that in the bathtub and sometimes in the litterbox. Even though she gets fed daily she is continuing to lose weight. She's becoming skin and bones. Sometimes she won't move for an entire day (except to eat) and sometimes she is slightly more active. Like, jumping up on the kitchen counter or on the back of the toilet. She isn't running wild or anything. Also, she loses her balance sometimes when she's walking or trying to jump on something.

I have come to terms with the fact that she is dying. I have been crying for the last 3 weeks about this. She doesn't act like she's in any pain. She's not meowing or moaning or anything. She seems to still get around without pain. If she is dying, I have come to terms with that. I just want to know what could be wrong. Could it be hyperthyroidism or kidney or liver failure? I have battled all week with whether to have her put down or not. If she starts acting like she's in pain then I will put her down. But if she is just dying of old age them I am going to just let her go quitely. Please help. I can't keep crying like this. She is my world and she is like my child. I need to know. I just have to.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 05:15 PM

She obviously has some sort of intestinal problems. If she keeps losing weight and is just laying around all day and not moving I'd definitely consider taking her to the vet and having her put down. She is very ill. She may be suffering and is just too weak to "say" anything about it. Sorry to hear this but remember she is 16 and you say she does go outside so she probably picked up something outside and that made her ill. You have no idea what sort of wild animals having what diseases have been around your house.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 05:48 PM

It could be hyperthyroidism, which is common in older cats.

Dec 13, 2009, 08:16 PM

I feel like if I put her to sleep before I know that she's in pain then I will wonder forever if she still had more time left and I did it too soon. If she is just dying of old age I want her to just go easy. I just don't know what to do. I take very good care of her with the money that I have. I just don't know.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 08:30 PM

If its hyperthyroidism then your cat may have more time left, but you need to take her to the vet to diagnose that.

If not, I think she is ready to go. If she is vomitting, barely moving, and skin in bones, you really need to scrounge up the money to at least do the kind thing and let her go.

Dec 13, 2009, 08:33 PM

I have the money to put her to sleep. I can scrounge up $20. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It's such a hard decision. I have noticed that since she's been sick, as of recently, she's been getting better. I will probably give it a few more weeks and then if things have not gotten any better I will have her put down. My husband and my dad are going to go with me when I do it. My dad is coming over tomorrow to look at her and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help guys. And if anyone else comes along and reads this and has input please input. I need all the diagnoses I can get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat hair is everywhere! [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 adorable Maine coons. I brush them often, but they always seem to have matts in their hair. I try to cut out the matts but new ones appear just days later. I feel awfull because it must be painful. Also, they shed everywhere! Is there anyway I can stop the fur from matting, aside from a...

What's wrong with my cat? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have two cats--they are sister and brother, and both are have been spayed/neutered. We picked them up from our veteranarian. We treat both cats as kindly as we can, and the female cat seems to be fine. She is happy and is not afraid at all of people. I know that cats have different...

My cat leaks blood from the vagina when she's pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cat that is pregnant this will be her 3rd litter of kittens, but this time its different I noticed that she leaks blood from the vagina. Does this mean that she will lose them or what?

Baby Mama Drama & Was I Wrong, & Was My Boyfriend Wrong? [ 31 Answers ]

3 threads merged and edited baby mama drama, all messed up! Ok, Me and my boyfriend started going together on August 1st 2007, on September 27th 2007 the girl he dealt with before we got together called him and told him she was pregnant and that the baby might be his but she didn't know if...

Looking For children's Book 'The Fat Cat' [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to track down a children's picture book that I read as a child in the 80s. I can't remember the author, or specific title.. but it was something along the line of 'The Fat Cat' or 'The Hungry Cat'. I'm fairly sure it was published by penguin. The story followed the lines of a cat eating...

View more questions Search