Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silver Lining Posts: 374, Reputation: 36
    -

Dec 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
    C-section
    Hi,

I am 37 weeks, pregnant.

Some of my friends and relatives had c-section and they say there is no risk and that its better than normal, while others say normal is a better choice. I am confused.

I was wondering why EVERYONE who has had a c-section say that it is nothing to worry about and that they recovered soon without any problem..

Can anyone who has had a c-section give me your opinion..

Thank you..
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 12, 2009, 11:26 PM
    I've never personaly had a c-section, but my girlfriend when having our son. She was in some pain immediately following the procedure, but was given a morphine I.V. to ease it. She was feeling a lot better the next day, and never had a problem since. The way they do it now, the scar is hardly visible.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 08:03 AM
    I've never has a c-section personally, but I am in the operating room when they are done and do take care of the mothers after they are done.

It is major abdominal surgery and should only be done when absolutely necessary. The recovery time is much longer than for a vaginal delivery, and the pain, depending on your pain tolerance, can be enormous.

My patients are put on a morphine PCA (you can give yourself a boost of morphine every 10 minutes), there is no getting out of bed for at LEAST 8 hours. You will have a foley catheter in your urethra to drain urine from your bladder for at LEAST 8 hours. Once the morphine IV and foley are discontinued, you will be urged to get out of bed and walk. I have had patients pass out from the intense pain of getting out of bed for the first time.

I'm not doing this to scare you, but to show you that a c-section should not be an option over vaginal delivery. I only call the surgery team in for a c-section if the mother and/or baby are in danger.

**EDIT** Also know that once you have a c-section, you will most likely always have c-sections after that. Most doctors these days will not allow a vaginal delivery after a c-section. There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between.
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Dec 14, 2009, 11:32 PM

I have had both. My first son was a c-section. Don't let your family tell you it is not a big deal. It is MAJOR surgery, which requires a long recovery, while taking care of a new child. I thought a c-section was farely easy, that was until I had my second son. Who was born vaginally. Here is what I remember about my csection: I went to the OR at 7 am. They gave me a spinal to numb me. They laid me down and began to cut. Right before they brought the baby out they brought my husband in. My son was born, they cleaned him up, and took he and my husband away. At that point they began to stitch me up, then I got very sick (vomiting). I was then taken to a room with my husband and son. The nurse said I needed to breastfeed, so I put the baby to my breast, but could not keep him there because I was sick and very dizzy and foggy. I had a very long painful recovery. My vaginal delivery was totally different. I started contractions at 3:30 am. I stayed home until noon the same day. I finally went to the hospital to find out I was only 2cm dilated. Labor was long, but I was allowed visitors, and was allowed to walk around. At 11pm I had an epidural and fell asleep. I woke at 5:15 am, and felt like pushing. I was 10 cm, and ready to have my son. I pushed for 40 minutes with my husband holding my hand, when my son was born they didn't take him away, they let me hold him and breastfeed him right away. It was the best experience of my life, my section of course was worth it, my son was healthy and so was I, but if I had to choose again, I will never have another section, unless absolutely necessary.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 01:02 AM

This may paint a bigger picture on why the OP is asking this;

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/womens...on-423513.html
    jessy0428 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2009, 06:56 AM

I had an emergency c-section. I wish I could have had her normally. I had her at 5:37Pm , I got to see her for 30 secs. After I had her, then I went into the recovery room while the meds wore off.Which is horrible because you shake uncontrollably the whole time. I went back to my room and I was in tons of pain. You can't eat, laugh, and don't dare sneeze because it causes so much pain. They don't allow you to get up. I didn't get to see my daughter until 5 hrs after I had her. And of course the stay after a c-section is longer. They put my stables in wrong, kind of side ways, so it had pinched a chunk of skin and I could hardly sit up. When you go home you have to be very careful. Its hard to take care of a newborn and be in so much pain. My incision tore back open about an inch. I would def. go normal if I could choose.There are tons of risk involved. You have to worry about infection afterward,and it's a major surgery.
    blessedmom Posts: 104, Reputation: 6

Dec 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

I have had 3 c-sections and will have my 4th on Jan 4th. My 1st c-section was emercency. I had no choice. The 2nd one I had a choice and chose c-section because with my first I was in so much pain and in labor for 36 hours. I healed quickly. My 2nd c-section they stitched me up better then the 1st time. I did get sick (vomitting) after the first 2 c-sections.The last one I had 2 years ago I did not get sick. I told my doctor about it so they gave me 2 pills before my c-section which worked great. I did not get sick at all. After my first c-section the day I got home I cleaned house. I was told to take it easy but I felt great. The second c-section I healed quickly. I was a little down. My 3rd c-section I had more pain but still recovered quickly. I can't complain about any of my c-sections
    Silver Lining Posts: 374, Reputation: 36
    -

Jan 19, 2010, 10:10 AM

Hi all,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry I could not reply immediately.

I had a c-section and delivered a baby girl on 1st Jan. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was under observation overnight but was on my feet the very next day. I experienced some pain but it was worth it. I stopped painkiller from the 3rd day. Also, my wound healed sooner than expected.

The only issue I had to face was feeding my baby gal while I had the catheter since I couldn't sit. But that was just for one night. All iz well...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Section 145 [ 2 Answers ]

What is under Law Act No 145

Section 8 [ 2 Answers ]

I am living with my mother in law, who is on section 8. I need to get my own place for my daughter and I. can I apply while living with somebody already on it?

FAQ section [ 9 Answers ]

Is it just me or is the FAQ section on here really hard to find?

Section 8 [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how you can get section 8. I was woundering how long it takes and also if you had to have good credit or what it requires! Can someone please tell me a little about this?

Section 8 [ 4 Answers ]

I just started renting on section 8 two years ago in CT and now my landlord is charging me for having a washer and dryer in my unit. He never discussed this and the hook-ups were already in place in the unit. He said that I have to pay him but nothing is stated about that in my lease agreement. ...

View more questions Search