Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamesJB Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2009, 05:29 AM
    Can't afford to pay
    Hi at this time I can't afford to pay school taxes can they come after me?

I'm on SSI and have no job,I'm not in school,I haven't paid school tax in so many years,I have never gotten a notice or anything from them.

I'm just wondering if they can,I have spoken to them in the past and they seemed understanding,I did pay for a while but then I had to stop. Food,Soap,Shampoo,meds,new clothes,seems more important than the school tax.

Thank you in advance for the help.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 10:05 AM

Are you an owner or a renter? Generally school taxes are part of your property taxes. At least that's how it is here in my state. So if you're an owner your property taxes include your school taxes. And if you're a renter then your landlord would pay the taxes out of the proceeds from your rent. So in my jurisdiction failure to pay could result in a lien being placed on your property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 01:50 PM

Yes, the only "school" tax I know of is on your property, and is part of the property tax. If you don't pay them, the county may and normally do sell your property to pay for the taxes

Dec 12, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Double post sorry

Dec 12, 2009, 04:18 PM

I rent,I pay my room mate. My room mate has his rent by a rent payee at a place called Confrence of Churches.

If I understand you guys correctly it's the landlords reponseability to pay the school tax?
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 05:31 PM

What Are PA's Local Taxes?

Property Tax Relief

While I don't live in PA, I have reviewed what I could in a few minutes, but school taxes are part of the over all property taxes. Just as they are in in GA. For example the taxes on my property is about 1300 dollars of that 800 is school taxes.

So there should be a bill going to the owner of the property. This is just his cost of owning the property, he has to pay the taxes, he should be paying insurance for the property and to cover his own liablity. And has to do upkeep and maintenance.

In return he sets a rental amount to cover all of these costs and make some profit, or at least pay off the lien on the property.

Unless you have some reduced rent in return to paying the taxes on the property, I have never heard of such things.
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Also if this is the Conference of Churches in Allentown PA, it is a 501C3 non profit and should be exempt from property taxes anyway , from my understanding of your states exemptions

So who exactly is charging you property ( school ) taxes
    Or this is a "fee" not really a tax that the non profit charges for eduction or assitance they provide you as a service
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 11:59 AM
    In some states (Ohio, for example), school taxes are assessed as part of the income tax.

However, SSI is typically exempt from such taxes, so the OP should have NO tax bill at all, unless he owns his home free and clear or has other income sources that he forgot to mention.

Dec 15, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    In some states (Ohio, for example), school taxes are assessed as part of the income tax.

However, SSI is typically exempt from such taxes, so the OP should have NO tax bill at all, unless he owns his home free and clear or has other income sources that he forgot to mention.
    Nope nothing else,I get SSI every month only err would Food Stamps mean anything? Other than SSI and Food Stamps that's all I get.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Then you should NOT have this problem and the notice is probably a mistake.

Call the phone number that shold be on the assessment to explain your situation to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we afford this? [ 12 Answers ]

Increase taxes and make up new taxes Tax on the wealthy Tax if you live in house more than 24 hundred square feet Double income tax Social security tax Tax retirement Higher tax on inheritance tax Medical tax Global poverty tax

Can't afford my car payment [ 3 Answers ]

I can't afford my auto payment anymore due to the lack of work and cutbacks. My payment of $650 is really taking its toll on me. I owe way more on the loan than what the truck is actually worth due to some stupid mistakes I made a few years back. But now I can no longer afford the payment and my...

Can't afford Car. Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a used 2006 Pontiac G6 because I'm an idiot. Anyway, my living situation has once again changed and I have to find a new place. I am not going to be able to afford my car payment and insurance. I owe around $15,000 currently on the car. What steps do I need to take now that I...

I can't afford it,what can I do. [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I was engaged but the guy left me cold and dry .I am now stuck with a house payment that I can not afford ,I can only afford half of it and the rest goes to my bills.I have lived in this house for about 5 months now and April was the first month that it has not been paid yet.I don't want...

Afford divorce [ 1 Answers ]

What if she cannot afford a lawyer? Can she get one through a legal aid society?

View more questions Search