Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alkis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 04:44 AM
    Dual citizenship greece
    Hi, I want to apply for dual citizenship and I believe that I have all the necessary documents proving my Greek heritage through my paternal Grandfather. However, one thing is missing... when he arrived in New York in 1912, he changed his name, as was common at that time. I don't seem to find anything that shows this was done. I am sure many people have faced this issue as well, so my question is, how do I prove that this is the same person?
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Jan 1, 2010, 01:32 PM

Have you found your paternal grandfather's inscription in the Military Records [Mitrwa arrenwn] in his municipality in Greece? That is the main document you need - if you have that, then everything else should be straightforward. His name will likely be transcribed as "xxxx or yyyy", where xxxx is his original Greek name and yyyy is his changed name. This process is straightforward and happens more than you would think.
    Alkis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. My Grandfather was 14 years old when he came to America, and did not return for 50 years. I have the record of his Baptism from the municipality in Greece and all other documents that are required (marriage & birth certs) linking my heritage, but sometime between 1912 when he arrived (I have ship manifest), and 1918 when he was naturalized, his name was changed. I have the Naturalization papers, US military records, etc. and the name is a shorter (more American I guess) name, than his birth name. The Greek consulate says I must show a document proving that this is the same person. Also, for the record, his 5 siblings remained in Greece so I still have many relatives there. Thanks again for the reply and any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship GREECE and USA [ 55 Answers ]

Hi I am a dual citizen of both Greece and the USA. I have a question? When traveling out and to the US I would use my US passport. I understand that part. But say I leave the USA with my USA passport. When I land for instance in Germany do I use my Greek passport or my US passport? And on the way...

Dual Citizenship for USA/Greece [ 1 Answers ]

I Recently came back from Greece where I met my family for the first time. I am interested in getting dual citizenship for USA/Greece but I don't know where I can get information. Does anyone know of a website or place that I can contact to get more information?

USA and Greece Dual Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I am a citizen of the US. Both of my parents moved here from Greece and are now US citizens. I want to live in Greece for a year or so and I figured I would have to be a citizen of Greece. Would I end up losing my US citizenship? How would I go about getting a dual citizenship, is my first...

View more questions Search