Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2009, 01:01 AM
    Am I and others like me a bigot?
    For example, though there are several products, I refuse to buy I'll just deal with two here.
    I refuse to buy or drive a Ford product (though I like Fords) because the Ford motor company supports the gay life style and same sex marriages with lots of cash.
    I refuse to buy or drive a General Motors vehicle though I like Buicks) because it has canceled a platinum contract with a Montana mining company to buy platinum from over seas.
    The Montana company hires many workers and is the only platinum producer in the USA.
    So now, because, General Motors was a major purchaser of platinum, many workers were laid off. Those same worker like all us provide the tax dollars that helped bail out GM from bankruptcy.
    Does that make me and others like me bigots?
    How about you?
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 01:09 AM

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion.

The origin of the word bigot and bigoterie in English dates back to at least 1598, via Middle French, and started with the sense of "religious hypocrite". Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

I do have to question the first point you made, about Ford promoting gay marriages and same sex lifestyles. Is it because you hate gays, or because it's against your beliefs?

Either way, I know that you're a good person. I can't see you as a bigot. Not from what I know about you anyway.

You've never been anything but kind to me, even though we don't have the same beliefs, or the same lifestyle.
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 01:16 AM

Also, I find it a bit funny that the ad to the side of your post is a Chevy add. Oh the irony. ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 03:58 AM
    This topic has nothing to do with christianity though, it should be moved.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 12:36 AM

Needkarma...
    I always thought that bigotry was very much present in Christianity that is what I posted the question here.
    Altenweg...
    No, I do not hate gays, but I'm very much against that life style because of my religious beliefs.
    Thanks for asking,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 10:57 PM
    What is your general thought about what is a bigot.
    I think a person can be bigoted in a lot of different ways.
    Those that bug me the most are the ones who clearly hate, dislike, or slam others' denomination or religious belief.
    We have had a few here in the past who slammed or smeared denominations like JW, LDS, and Catholics.
    If seen some do so with off shoots of their denomuination.
    Another is those who tell so and so that so and so ir going to hell because they do not believe as the spokesperson does.
    In that case are they bigots or just something else?
    If so what?
    What is YOUR definition of a bigot?
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 11:48 PM

Having been on the receiving end of a lot of what you're talking about, I can honestly say that the word bigot never popped in to my mind when describing these people.

Haters, yes. Close minded, preachers, just plain mean.

It's really disheartening to have someone that claims to love God, follows the bible, which to me means someone that is supposed to try their very best to be good, because that's what the bible teaches, tell you that you're going to hell because you don't have the same belief.

Bigot? I don't think so.

I can see how the word might fit, but to me it's a very harsh word, not one to be used lightly. Certainly not one that you fit Arcura.

It's like the word hate. I dislike a lot of things, but hate is reserved for things like Hitler, pedophiles, abusers. I don't use the word hate loosely, at least not when talking about people. I do slip, or I'll say it here to stress my point, but in my life I try very hard not to use the word hate. To me it's very harsh and not to be used lightly. The word bigot is the same.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I think a person can be bigoted in a lot of different ways.
    Those that bug me the most are the ones who clearly hate, dislike, or slam others' denomination or religious belief.
    Or political beliefs. The Current Events board is full of bigots... just full.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search