Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    durk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Mortgage loan non resident Brooklyn
    My son is finishing law school and is married. He has found a great brownstone in Brooklyn he is going to buy (and live there). He is on a student visa and not a US resident but will be working for a NY law firm starting in the summer (he has solidified his offer thank goodness). I will sign for him and we have about 60% down payment so want a first mortgage for about 40% (still about $800k).
    Banks don't seem to help and can't find a broker yet who seems to be able to help. I live in Canada and have an excellent credit rating and fairly high net worth. My son doesn't have a credit rating in the US. He has an excellent credit rating in Canada. They for instance won't give him a credit card in the US (so he uses a Canadian one). Can we get a loan at a reasonable rate somewhere??
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Dec 12, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Your situation is not uncommon. There are many people either foreign born and/or on student visas who are trying to secure property in the United States. The fact that you're non-residents is the key here. Having an employment agreement is a good start, but please keep in mind, he didn't actually start working yet. Even if you have a sizable down payment, American lenders rarely will make loans to non-residents based on foreign credit standing and/or a signed letter from a future employer. In their minds, the risk is extremely huge, simply because a lot of things can happen between now and summer. American creditors and lenders, mostly because of new legislation, have made it tougher for citizens here to qualifiy for mortgage loans. So, even with your impeccable credit standing in Canada, it's going to be even harder, but not impossible. You will have to keep searching and unfortunately, you might have to go with the best "worst rate." Then once he's established in the US with the job, you might be able to refinance to a better rate. Hope this helps somewhat. Take care.
    durk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Very thoughtful and full response - many thanks - too bad there isn't an answer. Seems like a business opportunity. As for the employment situation, what difference does that make if they have 2 covenants and one is solid even if the second one never gets a job?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by durk View Post
    too bad there isn't an answer. Seems like a business opportunity.
    Hello durk:

You should excuse me, but I think X DID give you an answer. It seems like it's not a matter of whether they will lend or not, but a matter of how much they're going to charge...

In my view, not knowing the market in NY, and not knowing the state of mortgage lending these days, it would seem to me, that with a 60% down payment, you COULD find a lender, and at a very good rate.

Yes, it may be risky to lend to Canadians, but if you default, the bank ain't going to cry too much. Why would they? They'll MAKE $1.2 million if you forfeit. Perhaps you could find a private lender. Maybe an add the Times would garner a phone call or two..

I don't know. I'm just an exconvict living out west.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage loan [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to cosign with ny wife on a mortgage loan. I'm currently in chapter 13 for about 2 years. Chapter 13 ends within a year 3/2008. Is there a mortgage loan that we can apply for where they just use my income is use not credit along with my wife income and credit ?

Mortgage Loan [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a new house on existing property, however I have a single wide trailer that I owe money on. I want to be able to borrow money from mortgage company and also roll over existing mortgage loan without putting a lot of money down. Is this possible?

Do I have to pay City of NY Resident tax since I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219 [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219 since July,2005. Do I have to pay "CITY OF NY RESIDENT TAX". Please let me know this will help me to save 3.5K towards city of NY resident tax. I will appreciate your help. Regards, Srinivas.

Second Mortgage Loan [ 1 Answers ]

About 3 years ago my mom wanted to refinance her home. Her credit wasn't good enough, so I'm the primary and she co-signed. My mom pays the mortgage payments every month, and has a good pay history. My problem is now I want to buy a home, and I have my name on my moms mortgage. How likely...

View more questions Search