Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bassnjulia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Patio sliding door leaking from bottom at sill
    Sliding padio door leaking at the bottom , water leaking on flooor beneath carpet into wood floor then into ceiling of living room below it causing damage to ceiling .
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 08:22 PM

You need to properly seal the outside of the bottom of the patio door from the outside. Use a good quality silicone sealer at the proper temperature outside and let it properly cure before it rains. I would seal the entire door frame on the outside as well just in case the leak is coming from the top or side of the door.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 09:26 PM

Remove door panels from frame. Remove bottom track. That may or may not require removing the side jams. Clean surface under bottom track and put a bed of either Liquid Nails or silicone. Reinstall bottom track.

Just sealing the outside or the track edge may work for a while but chances are the seal will break or crack in the future and the problem will come back.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 12, 2009, 08:28 AM

I see this too when there is not proper flashing at the outside, under the door. Do the suggestions above, and in the summer - check to see if you have flashing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding patio door track [ 3 Answers ]

The track on my aluminum patio sliding doors is curling up on both ends.. . Will a rail topper work for this? Do I remove the old one then put on the topper? Thanks, Troy

Sliding Glass Door Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question or get the answer. My sliding glass door attached to an upper deck leaks and water comes in on the bottom track. I need professional help to have this corrected. It has damaged my wood floors and the inside of the molding too. What should...

New sliding shower door leaking underneath the jam. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we had an old 3 glass sliding shower stall doors in our bathroom, that would always leak to the outside of the bottom shower jam in one corner. Well, the showerdoor was old and one side was jammed in, another piece of the upper jam broken, so we decided instead of re-caulking the old door, we...

Door Sill Leaking Into Basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My basement is leaking due to a spring thaw. I see exactly where it is but need to fix it QUICK before a vacation tomorrow. The problem is that the grade outside is sloping towards the house. This will be fixed in the spring. For now I need a temporary fix to at least get me through...

Sliding Glass Door is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near...

View more questions Search