Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Could putting baking soda, vinegar and hot water cause a pipe to burst?
    Could putting baking soda, vinegar and hot water cause a pipe to burst, or using the bathtub about a half hour later?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 02:43 PM

That combination would not have caused your pipe to burst, but if you had added chlorine bleach it would have. Baking soda, vinegar and hot water is an old fashioned method to clean a clog in the drain.

Tick
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 03:03 PM

Hot water, vinegar and baking soda is safe for your pipes and it is a good preventive and drain uncloger.

However - if you used a harsh drain cleaner first, that may have created a leak depending on what shape your pipes are in and I usually advise against harsh drain cleaners for the most part.

You could have had a weak spot in the pipe before you used that combination.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michro View Post
    Could putting baking soda, vinegar and hot water cause a pipe to burst, or using the bathtub about a half hour later?
    No! Even if there were a pressure build up it would exit in one of two places before it would burst your pipes.
    1) It would exit up a roof vent **OR**
    \2) It would exit out of a fixture trap.
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Bicarbonate of soda vs. Baking soda? [ 2 Answers ]

In Australia, we only have bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. The chocolate crinkles recipe I want to try out requires baking soda. Which can I use to substitute & how much?:confused:

Baking powder and baking soda [ 2 Answers ]

In baking what are the differences between baking powder and baking soda? The reason is that one time I used the wrong one in a cake recipe and it did not come out right.

Water pipe burst [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a apartment in my master bedroom a pipe from outside under ground burst into my master bedroom my carpet wall egads are wet from the water what is the effect of this and what does the landlord have to do?:( :( :( :(

Identifying baking soda and washing soda [ 2 Answers ]

Using a monoprotic acid, how would you find out which sample is baking soda and which sample is washing soda if you have unknown samples of each? I think it has something to do with how much CO2 each produces when reacted with the acid, but I don't know which produces more CO2 and which produces...

View more questions Search