Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babywhoban Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Stink in bathroom
    Our bathroom has a foul odor coming from it. We have done all the required troubleshooting that we know of. We have no clog or hair in drain but asmell is coming from under the sink. It's almost like it is in the cabinet below the sink. We are on a slab and have pulled the shelf up and nothing is under it but cob webs. Any idea where we go from here? Thank you. Babywhoban
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 13, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Flush the toilet. Sorry had to say it. :D

When you say "under the shelf" you mean under the vanity unit itself?

Nov 13, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Yes, under the shelf which when pulled up is the floor and under that is the slab our house sits on. Strange. Would the smell be coming from the pipes? We have well water and we were wondering if after a length of time the pipes would be corroded with rust and whatever. This just started smelling one day and it has smelled that way since. Which is too long!! Thanks. Babywhoban
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Have you pulled the plunger and looked down the drain? There's a little rod down there that hair hangs up on and starts to rot. May I suggest the next time you have a plumbing question that you post it on the plumbing page. It will get answered a lot sooner. Regards, Tom

Nov 14, 2006, 07:12 AM
    We have already tried that. Babywhoban
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Then this is one of those problems where you just have to be there to track it down. Have you considered a critter might have died inside a wall?
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 14, 2006, 11:41 AM
    There is no way for anything to get under our home. It is definitely somewhere under the sink in the vanity. Could well water cause this smell? We appreciate all your help. Babywhoban.
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Do you have a "p" trap on your drain? If you don't and there is just a straight pipe running to your sewer you could be smelling gasses coming up from your sewer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stink from a leaky vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am redoing my kitchen and when I tried to take the sink out the vent pipe literally came apart, as though it was not even attached. There was a terrible smell in the kitchen and we thought it was the cabinets. We took out the cabinets, and they did smell, we also took out the walls. When I...

Toilet flooding hot water, sewer stink? [ 15 Answers ]

Old (1962) slab house, southwest Florida. Half-bath off bedroom. A couple days of toilet gurgling, a couple back-ups, but no overflowing, and plunging worked. Then it wouldn't, but it would eventually run down empty and kind of breathe out that nasty sewer smell from time to time. I thought...

Shower drain stink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower drain in an older home and when I take a shower the odor is of sewage. I took the cover off the drain and cleaned it out with a snake and there was nothing on the end of the snake. It drains fine and never backs up. I was wondering what is causing the bad odor. It only smells when...

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

No water! And I stink! [ 13 Answers ]

Ok, I live in a double-wide in the mountains of North Carolina. This problem occurs when it gets cold-cold-cold, but not all the time (I'm fairly certain it's not a freezing problem). Our water comes from a well, with a separate circuit for the pump (breaker located in my main power supply box)....

View more questions Search