Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    208231367 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
    How can I select between two ip to which my computer is assigned?
    My desktop PC is connected to internet through an access point with two wireless LAN (a wireless USB adapter & a wireless PCI adapter)
    My OS is widows XP SP2.
    Here is my connetion status from USB adapter:
    IP Address : 192.168.77.100
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.77.1

& from PCI adapter:
    IP Address : 192.168.77.103
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.77.1

Both IPs are assigned by DHCP.
    Can I select which IP to surf internet or download?
    Is it true that windows selects one of them by default(for example the first one)?
    For download file A from first IP & file B from the second(files A & B are different), is it necessary that download manager support it or not? If yes, what program support it?
    It's not bad to say that this place uses proxy to connect to internet (for more security!) & also have a download speed limit on each IP. The speed limit, is the reason that I'm asking this question.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 12:05 PM

I don't think it uses both at the same time. I think it switches back and forth between either as needed. I think your best bet would be to unplug your usb, start your download. Then pop it back in and the internet surfing should default to the one with lower bandwidth, i.e. the usb. You can open up the task manager and experiment a little. It will let you monitor the bandwidth being used on each network connection.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

The lowest IP will be given to the PC that connects first.
    You can change your connection to manual and input an IP of your choise AS long as it's in the same subnet as the Default Gateway... Ex (192.168.77."2-254")
    Also change the DNS server to the same as your Default Gateway.

Hope this helps :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a new public defender be assigned [ 2 Answers ]

I may have had problems submitting the last question. I was Incarcerated four and one half years. I was coerced by the judge to plead guilty, even with exculpatory evidence to prove someone else committed the crimes. I caved to the pressure. My then private attorney was not effective to say the...

When would I get assigned a public defender [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested and they let me post bail without going to jail at the end of Aug. for embezzlement of $3,000.00 which is a felony. I live in a small town and on Sept. 2 they had to transfer it to another town that isn't much larger but they have the courthouse for the county and I have not heard...

A Directed Donation is Re-assigned [ 1 Answers ]

A registered charity has an existing operation, with staff and a manager, and a prospective new operation, championed by a member of the board. An engineer has done some preparatory work on the new project and has been owed $10,000 for more than three months. The charity is cash tight. When the...

You are assigned the duty of ensuring the availability of 100,000 [ 5 Answers ]

You are assigned the duty of ensuring the availability of 100,000 yen for the payment that is scheduled for next month. Considering that your company possesses only U.S. dollars, identify the spot and forward exchange rates. What are the factors that affect your decision of utilizing spot versus...

Are you assigned to your sign or are you assigned to it? [ 8 Answers ]

I hope you will understand what I am trying to ask. How are signs assigned? What I want to know is that if your astrological chart says that you will be an unhappy person are you then born into a family that will make that so? For example, in my chart it says that I will have a lot of difficulty...

View more questions Search