Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Returning something important
    Hi my friends.

Just wanted some of your valued advice on a situation I find myself in.

Whilst doing some much needed cleaning of my cupboard over the weekend I come across something that belongs to my ex. Well many things actually. Most of them aren't important things and I won't even bother with them. She has many of my things too and I haven't pursued getting them back because they are all replaceable and I don't really want them badly enough to contact her.

However, one thing I found at home that belongs to my ex is of particular importance to her and hr mother.

It is a little piece of jewelry that can be attached to a necklace. It belonged to my ex's grandmother who gave it to her daughter (my ex's mum).

my ex used to wear it and I remember when she lost it, both her and her mother were a little upset.

So I really have to return it. Was just wondering how I should go about it.

I was thinking of maybe just putting it in an envelope with a little note to my ex's mother saying I found it when cleaning and wanted to return it. I would then just drop the envelope in my ex's mum letter box.

Is this the best way to do it or are there any other ideas. I don't really fancy dropping it to where my ex is living at the moment.
    tdmce Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Yeah I think that sounds like the best way to handle it. You just need to make sure that it gets to them safely, but the letterbox should be fine.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
    That sounds like the perfect way to handle this? I am sure her mother will be very grateful to you as well! - you are a very thoughful man; not many would bother - I have lots of respect for you ;)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Do you have any contact information (phone #, e-mail address, etc.) for your ex's mom? If so, contact her and inform her that you have this jewelry that you'd like to return to her and establish a date, time and place to meet her. If you can't get hold of her mom, then contact the ex instead. If you can't even contact the ex, then place a notice in a local newspaper. If that generates no response, then wait the required time (generally 180 days.) After that, it's yours to do with as you like.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:18 PM
    To respectfully disagree with tdmce and DJ H, I wouldn't trust simply placing it in the letterbox as it doesn't relieve you of any potential liability if it somehow disappears after you've placed it in the letterbox. For your own protection, you want to actually hand it to her mom, in person, or at least hand it to her in person. Her mom is best, since it is actually her property but you want to be sure you physically hand it to someone who can be reasonably assumed to take responsibility for it.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    To respectfully disagree with tdmce and DJ H, I wouldn't trust simply placing it in the letterbox as it doesn't relieve you of any potential liability if it somehow disappears after you've placed it in the letterbox. For your own protection, you want to actually hand it to her mom, in person, or at least hand it to her in person. Her mom is best, since it is actually her property but you want to be sure you physically hand it to someone who can be reasonably assumed to take responsibility for it.
    I did not even think of that - I do believe contacting her Mum is the best course of action - so perhaps you ought to ring her and make sure she is in when you drop around - asdsuming you have her number.

Thanks for pointing that out s-cianci - you really cannot be too careful these days.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Yes I do have contact details for my ex's mother although I really didn't want to have to see or talk to her.

We haven't spoken since my ex broke up with me and to tell you the truth I don't really want to. Its not that we don't get on, we do, but I have to say having no contact with my ex's family has been just a beneficial as having no contact with her.

But I do understand what you are saying about liability.

It wouldn't be worth a lot of money but it is just something I know they would like to have back.

I suppose I have to look at giving it to her in person... unfortunately!
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

Nov 13, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Hmmm this is a tricky one indeed!

Postbox-not a bad solution but unsafe.

Mother- hmm if you give it back to the mother I guess she will ask how you are etc , so you are going to have to talk to her and then she I guess she will tell her daughter you gave it back to her, but then maybe your ex thinks you are still all emotional over her by not seeing her in person?

Your ex- would the best solution her just be not to give it back directly to her?You have not had contact since the last time when you wrote that email by mistake.. so would now not be a good time to let her see how well your life is going without her?

Hmm tough one... or leave it for a while and wait until you are ready for contact?
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 07:33 AM
    If it were me, I would at first thought think about the postbox option and hope for the best but speaking on a more wise note, it is unsafe, so I would opt for option 2 which would be giving it to her mother. I don't think there is anything wrong with this but just take control of any converastion and make sure that nothing gets discussed about how you are and what you are doing or what your ex is up to. Just keep it short and simple but polite.

I think she will respect you for giving this back!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 13, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Pretend its still Halloween, tape it to her door, knock and run for cover? :rolleyes:
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Hi Skell,

Perhaps you could also send this by registered or recorded post..

Not sure how they do it in Australia but in the UK, we have something called Special Delivery which is a guaranteed service with extra insurance...

Extremely rare that it goes missing.

Only thing is, you cannot put a price on this because it has sentimental value to it. Iyt would save you the bother of having to meet up with anyone though even though it seems rather formal.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffersonairplane
    Hi Skell,

Perhaps you could also send this by registered or recorded post..

Not sure how they do it in Australia but in the UK, we have something called Special Delivery which is a guaranteed service with extra insurance...

Extremely rare that it goes missing.

Only thing is, you cannot put a price on this because it has sentimental value to it. It would save you the bother of having to meet up with anyone though even though it seems rather formal.

Hey Geoff,

Yeah we have registered post here in oz and that's not a bad idea.

I suppose my initial thought about just dropping it in the mail box might be a little unsafe. Not sure though. Her mum lives in real nice little quiet area and I would drop it there in the middle of the day and she would check her mail when she gets home from work in the arvo. It would probably be in the mail box for a matter of hours. Still enough to missing I suppose.

I will just give her mum a call and see when she is home and ill drop it to her. No big deal. Just thought ad ask!

Thanks all for the advice.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 09:03 AM
    I'd call her Mom up -explain what happened ask if you can drop it off.

I'd even go as far to mention you don't want to contact the ex and just want to return what belongs to them.

Then drop it off - ifthe mothers there - great. If not - leave it in the mail box or door.

Move on - I am sure they will lappreciate it.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Hope you have returned the necklace, and in person to the Mother. Mailing via envelope in the post box is not a secure way to go.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Hope you have returned the necklace, and in person to the Mother. Mailing via envelope in the post box is not a secure way to go.
    I haven't as yet but I will.

And I was never going to mail it. I was planning on putting in there myself.

But its OK, I will drop it around the next chance I get.
    Rae24 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Hi my friends.

Just wanted some of your valued advice on a situation i find myself in.

Whilst doing some much needed cleaning of my cupboard over the weekend i come across something that belongs to my ex. Well many things actually. Most of them arent important things and i wont even bother with them. She has many of my things too and i havent pursued getting them back because they are all replaceable and i dont really want them badly enough to contact her.

However, one thing i found at home that belongs to my ex is of particular importance to her and hr mother.

It is a little piece of jewelry that can be attached to a necklace. It belonged to my ex's grandmother who gave it to her daughter (my ex's mum).

my ex used to wear it and i remember when she lost it, both her and her mother were a little upset.

So i really have to return it. was just wondering how i should go about it.

I was thinking of maybe just putting it in an envelope with a little note to my ex's mother saying i found it when cleaning and wanted to return it. I would then just drop the envelope in my ex's mum letter box.

Is this the best way to do it or are there any other ideas. i dont really fancy dropping it to where my ex is living at the moment.
    Um... well you can do that of course, but remember, the break-up was between you and your ex, not her mother. So if it meant so much to them, I am sure you can be nice enough to give it to her mom at least in person. Shows you are still a aperson that cares for them, no matter how the situaton went with her daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Returning to gray hair [ 5 Answers ]

I have coloured my hair with a semipermanent dark brown hair colouring. I want to return to my natural hair colour, silver gray. How would I go about doing this? Do I have to just let my hair grow out or can I strip it and colour it gray? Please advise.

Poem about a returning traveller [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me track this poem, the ending is something like "Why have you brought me children's toys?" I couldn't track it through Google.

Mailwasher returning my bounces a lot lately [ 3 Answers ]

I've used Mailwasher for years - always Blacklisting and Bouncing spam. No biggie here, but I'm just curious: In the past week all of the sudden I'm getting a bazillion emails saying my mail has been returned. Clearly they are one of two things - both of which would be a new trend. 1....

Returning a sign-on bonus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I received a sign-on bonus of $15,000 in 2005 that was reported as income on my W-2. (actual amount received was $10,102.50 after taxes). I have recently left that job and need to return the sign-on bonus. My company wants me to return the $10,102.50 + $3,750 for federal taxes since my...

EZula TopText and TinyBar keep returning! [ 7 Answers ]

There are 2 pieces of spyware that are deleted by Aladdin Internet Cleanup but then they come back: EZula TopText TinyBar The latter comes back every few minutes! Any ideas how I can obliterate them for good??

View more questions Search