Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkjha701 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Respiration of plants
    I want to know that either plants take oxygen in and carbon dioxide out during respiration or the opposite of the above mentioned
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 05:18 AM

Plants take carbon monoxide in and release oxygen. They are actually our household air cleaners. You got it wrong before as well.

Tick
    pramod awasthi Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Dec 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

Oh I think plant just show same process in respiration like as animels mean co2 out and o2 in at respiration
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 02:41 AM

Plants perform respiration like any other organism. So, it uses oxygen and food to produce energy and carbon dioxide.

However, plants also photosynthesize, meaning that it will convert carbon dioxide and water win the presence of light with the help of chlorophyll to produce oxygen and food. This is how plants get their sugars.

Now, since plants grow slower, do not need as much energy as animals, is requires less sugars and therefore respire less. Hence, the net effect is that they perform more photosynthesis than respiration.

Tick, I don't know what plants do with carbon monoxide, but since carbon monoxide quite readily reacts in air to form carbon dioxide, I don't think plants use them. However, more research might be done to confirm this.
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post

tick, I don't know what plants do with carbon monoxide, but since carbon monoxide quite readily reacts in air to form carbon dioxide, I don't think plants use them. However, more research might be done to confirm this.
    Hi, unk, I meant to say carbon dioxide, not monoxide.

Tick
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 12:12 PM

It's OK tick. :)

The post of pramod and yours seemed to be contradictory, so I preferred explaining a little further to avoid confusion. :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 12:44 PM

As usual, Unknown has it right. But I'll restate in case a second explanation helps.

When plants photosynthesize, they use solar energy to combine carbon dioxide from the air with water molecules to make sugar molecules, releasing oxygen as waste. The energy from sunlight is stored in the sugar.

When plants need energy, they break down sugar molecules to extract the energy they stored there, using cell respiration just like animals do. They us oxygen to break sugar into carbon dioxide and water, the same as we do.
    Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi, unk, I meant to say carbon dioxide, not monoxide.

tick
    dollytanwer does not find this helpful : beacuse the answer of the question was not in deatial

It wasn't an answer, I was addressing another member

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is glucose used for in plants apart from respiration [ 4 Answers ]

Hey please answer as soon as possible I need to know for the exam tomorrow :S Thanks

In Plants: Light Cycle vs Dark Cycle vs Calvin Cycle vs Cellular Respiration? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain to me the difference between these? I am trying to write a lab report and have no idea what I'm writing about.

Respiration in Plants [ 1 Answers ]

Why respiration in plants during the day time is unnoticable ?

Respiration of plants [ 3 Answers ]

How does temperature affect the rate of respiration in a plant?

Respiration [ 1 Answers ]

The energy for respiration comes from?

View more questions Search