Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    67vert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Bathroom sink drain leak
    I just installed a new sink in our bathroom. I also installed a new moen facuet and drain. After installing the piece that goes in the bottom of the sink and putting plumbers putty under it I have a water leak coming from around the big rubber gasket which fits up against the sink. I have tightened the large nut with a wrench and the gasket is still leaking. Do I need to put any plumers grease on the rubber gasket. If I don't have the plumers putty on the top side of the sink done right can that cause it to leak? Any suggestions on what to do next would be great.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 05:14 PM

Yip. Loosen the nut/washer that is located just below the rubber gasket.

Go to the top side of sink and make sure you have plumbers putty applied well. I roll up at least 1/2 inch and make sure it completely circles the area. Then fit the drain flange down exactly how it should fit. (when you tighten it, you will see some oozing out the sides - remove that later).

Now go down and make sure your pipe asembly is straight down and that you are not trying to angle it at all. Then secure that nut under the rubber gasket. If you don't tighten it well on the threads, you will have a problem getting a tight fit under that gasket. AGain, make sure everything is straight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in new bathroom sink drain [ 12 Answers ]

I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is...

Leak under bathroom sink [ 20 Answers ]

I have a link under the bathroom sink that I'm having a hard time figuring out. The link is a pretty steady drip when the faucets are running. The leak originates behind the nut that screws onto the coupling from the pipe coming out of the wall. From the p trap a pvc pipe slides into a larger...

Leak from bathroom sink bowl [ 4 Answers ]

I had an inspector come in my condo and he said the bathroom sink bowl was leaking after running water for 5 minutes. I had a master plumber look at the sink and could not find any leaks even after filling the bowl many times and even letting it overflow into the overflow area. This is the only...

Leak under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one handle bathroom sink. Underneath the sink, under the escutcheon, there is a small leak of water coming out of the middle hole. It is the same hole that the stopper plug rod goes up into. It's the hole between the hot and cold water line connections. Where is this leak coming from and...

Bathroom Sink Valve Leak [ 2 Answers ]

The shut off valves under my bathroom sink have started leaking and I am not sure what to do. The sink has had a tendency to clog lately, and I am not sure if this is related or not. Are there any suggestions on how to repair the dripping valves? Please advise.

View more questions Search