Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andre Foux Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Summons for Credit Card Debt
    I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
    You really think they will settle for 20%? Doesn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you are going to file for bankruptcy, now is probably the time to do it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 05:13 PM
    You need to show up and have a plan in place to start making payments to them. I also doubt that they will accept only 20 percent, but how much of that 5000 was fees and interest and how much was actual payments out. They will want at least the amount they paid out and a reasonable interest. 1/2 would be most likely a closer figure.

And often they may take the risk of you filing bankruptcy esp now since it is harder to do with the newer laws in place. So they can normally get a judgement and attach your bank accounts and get a garnishment to get some money before you ever get the bankruptcy filed.

So they will most likely already know about how much your bank account balances are, and what you make at your job.
    So they will bet on about how much they can get before your filing can go into place
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Try to settle with them, but when you go to court, demand to see the original contract. This is important, if they don't have the contract with them, there is no contract, "NO CONTRACT . NO CASE."
    I have seen any people who when to court and never ask to see if the had the original contract, court just order judgment for them without proof.

Demand you rights. Produce the contract.
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 13, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Im sorry to hear that dearie
    You can try to offer them anything to settle the debt but knowing these companies, they will not settle for less easily. If you are considering bankruptcy let them know that this is going to be the next step and maybe they will go for the grand.

Hope this helps somehow
    Andre Foux Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Thank for the information. Now I've gotten the company's lawyer to agree on a 75% settlement figure. But still told that my credit report will still show me owing the balance and I will still have to go to court. I thought a settlement made the debt go away... someone please explain.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Once you pay the agreed upon amount the credit report should show the debt paid but a settled amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Summons received for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was...

View more questions Search