Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    combator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 05:47 PM
    New toilet won't flush
    So I'm guessing Im having problems with my plumming... I just installed a new toilet and it just won't flush. Every time I attempt to flush, a large air bubble comes up the bowl and prevents the water from exiting. The water then slowly returns to the normal level in the bowl.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 05:28 PM

This could be that the wax seal is not properly positioned and it blocking the water from exiting the toilet correctly.

It sounds like the water is backing up in the bowl when you try to flush, correct? If this is true, then you will have to take the toilet off and check the wax gasket. Now, make sure you put the wax gasket on the toilet portion just around the hole at the bottom - not the floor. This will help ensure you have it in the right place when attempting to position the toilet.

Once you have the toilet in place, make sure you push down evenly (I even sit on it and try to twist it just a little to ensure a good bond).

Then, give it another shot once you hook the tank/water supply back up. Post back if this doesn't work.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2009, 05:45 PM

In my capacity as shop trouble shooter I began to run into a slew of complaints on our new construction that were just like yours. I knew they all couldn't be " bad toilets" so I went looking for the cause. I found that when installing the new bowl that the wax ring had been forced out into the discharge pipe and blocking the free flow of water. When the water hit it a backpressure was set up preventing the siphon that makes a good flush and the solids just swirled around while the water went slowly down. I had to set up meeting with our plumbers and show them the problem and how to fix it. When you set the bowl, put the wax seal down on the flat side to the closet flange. Then take your hands and bevel the wax seal outward so that when you set a bowl on it the wax is forced out instead of in blocking the flush. The customer complaints stopped and I had less work to do. Try molding the wax seal so it doesn't choke down on the flush. Good luck, Tom
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 05:47 PM

Tom, you are so cool!

Thanks Cyber! But I'm not really cool. just another old burnt out plumber. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New toilet won't flush [ 12 Answers ]

Bought a new toilet to hook up into new basement bathroom, however when I installed the toilet it will not flush, if I loosen the bolts on the bowl slightly it will flush with out any problems. Could there be a vacuum happening? I also know that who ever plumbed the 3" pipe did not use a 90' the...

My toilet won't flush! [ 1 Answers ]

Hoping someone can help! My toilet handle has become really loose, and now my toilet won't flush at all. I have looked inside the cistern and attached to my handle is a hook, but its become unattached and I don't know where its meant to be attached to!

New toilet won't flush [ 3 Answers ]

We had to replace bathroom floor and decided to put in a new toilet while we were at it.Old toilet flushed just fine but new toilet fills the bowl to almost overflowing but is slow to drain.Ive read several replies and I don't believe any of them fit our problem.Our toilet doesn't have the hole...

Toilet won't flush just keeps spinning around [ 1 Answers ]

When ever I flush the toilet it just keeps spinning around how do I fix it?

Toilet won't flush. [ 1 Answers ]

I poured some of my rodent cage litter to flush down the drain and it absorbed the water and plugged the bowl. I plunged and plunged and eventually opened the drain, but now it won't flush. The flap in the bottom of the tank opens but no water empties into the bowl. I think I might have pushed some...

View more questions Search