Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Warning for '02-'06 4 cylinder Camry owners
    When you go to get your oil changed, they typically pour oil from a dispenser, or some type of gun nozzle from their bulk oil and put the 4.5 quarts in.

This is where the problem lies. There is a baffle just under your oil cap. You can plainly see it when you look in the oil fill hole.
    When dispensing the oil carelessly, this baffle gets bent down. The exhaust camshaft will start chewing it up!

It eventually will break off and go inside the cylinder head. This is not good!
    The worst case scenario is the timing chain will take a bite of it and get caught up in it and jump the timing to offset the valves.
    When this happens the valves all hit the pistons because they're now out of timing with each other.

What to do?
    Remove the oil cap and look down there after the oil change. If it looks bent down, get something to hook it and bend it back up.
    Or better yet, have someone remove the valve cover and remove the baffle if it looks weak.
    But keep in mind, now the camshaft is unprotected from someone sticking a dispenser nozzle down there.
    Scratches on these internal engine parts is can also cause havoc.

This is just a gentle reminder to let people know in case something like this should happen.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota camry 94 warning lights [ 9 Answers ]

Kindly assist me to know the meanings of an Icon that look like engine oil icon, but it has a zig -zag line underneath at the fuel indicator side, also the meaning of Icon that look like camerathat appears under the ABS writing in camry 94 model

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry? [ 1 Answers ]

Which cylinder is the number 1 cylinder in a 4 cylinder 1997 toyota camry?

1994 toyota camry 4 cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

How to bypass a/c compressor to altenator on 1994 toyota camry 4 cylinder

95 Camry 4 cylinder Engine balancer? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry with a 4 cylinder. I had to pull the motor due to what sounded like a TERRIBLE rod knock. I have a new motor already and I am swappin parts from old to new. The old motor has what I have since found out is called a balancer on the bottom of the motor. I have no idea what...

Oil in the cylinder [ 4 Answers ]

What does it mean if you have a little bit of oil in one of the cylinders where the spark plug goes in?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.