Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radshack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2004, 06:06 PM
    Replacement shower drain strainer
    Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Cheryl
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2004, 07:15 AM
    Hey Shack, I could find nothing on Olympic, however I found a company that sells all different sizes of strainers. One of these should fit your needs. Click on to check them out. http://www.shopping.com/xGS-Shower_S...kin_id-3058015 Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2004, 11:11 AM
    Re: Replacement shower drain strainer
    You may have to do as Tom suggested. However, the shipping and handling on small stuff may cost more than the product. You might try a different sort of store than you have looked. Builders and plumbers buy from building and pluming supply houses. They carry different brands than the hardware stores and home centers. Often they do not carry much in the way of replacement parts. This can lead to an expensive replacement of something than only need a small part. Look around a little more locally.
    radshack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2004, 11:16 AM
    Re: Replacement shower drain strainer
    Hey, thanks very much.
    gholzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2004, 03:03 PM
    I am trying to find a shower drain cover that is 4 1/4"and the screw holes are 3 3/4" on center.
    The above link did not have anything as well as many other sites
    Does anyone have any other ideas of where to look.

Thanks for any help,
    ;DGHolzer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2004, 06:00 PM
    I can pull up 4 '/4 shower strainers but can find none with the screw hole spacing that you designated. However there are plenty of 4 1/4" snap in strainers. Perhaps you should consider one of those. Regards, Tom
    nohub Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2004, 06:53 AM
    Some times the best solution to a problem as this is to go to a local sheet metal shop and have them to cut one out using stainless steel. If you take the old one with you they can do a good job of matching all the measurements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

PVC pipe to kitchen drain/strainer leak [ 3 Answers ]

How do I securely fasten the connection from the pvc pipe to the strainer? I have the plastic stopper inside the strainer nut that screws into the drain tightly but water trickles from the connection. The pvc pipe can slide up and down when the nut to the strainer is securely fastened. What do I...

Replacement tub drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a replacement tub waste plug. I was in the hardware store today and they had a wall full of replacement drain parts. The bathtub in my master bath has a drain that works fine but cosmetically was pretty beat up. It's 30 year old brass, and it was not going to clean up without being...

Shower Strainer - where to find [ 2 Answers ]

First time poster. Looking for a strong (brass?) shower strainer replacement. Original is 3-1/2" diameter with 2 screws 2-3/4" apart on center. Chrome finish. Bought a replacement at Orchard Supply Hardware - but the strainer dented the first time I stepped on it. Don't know the...

View more questions Search