Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Savel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Geyser problems
    The problem started when the hot water supply remained cold suggesting one of two solutions, either the thermostat or element packed up. I had the existing thermostat tested and because it was faulty replaced same. The water heated up but after a considerable wait. This was okay for two days until after the opening of the hot water tap the water would exit via the safety valve collect in the drip tray and exit, I then replaced the safety valve as well and lo and behold the same thing happened. Is there something I missed out on by way of the installation or possible setting of the items ?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 04:25 PM

You say that the Safety Valve is releaseing water? That only should happen if there is a build up of pressure, or your supply water pressure is high. You said you replaced your thermostat as well.

What type of water heater do you have? Gas/heat etc. What thermostat did you replace?
    Savel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 01:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    You say that the Safety Valve is releaseing water? That only should happen if there is a build up of pressure, or your supply water pressure is high. You said you replaced your thermostat as well.

What type of water heater do you have? Gas/heat etc. What thermostat did you replace?
    Well it is not a gas heater but a normal electric geyser. There is only one thermostat on the geyser that you unplug at the back. All it has is a long pin that has two plug inserts with the gauge that registers the temperature settings. I have set this one at +- 59 degrees. The water pressure coming into the household is not that high based on when I use the garden hose so as you say in all likelihood I may have to reduce the temperature setting?

Dec 12, 2009, 04:55 AM

Okay, let's back up. When you say "geyser", are you referring to the "Geyser" a capsul type water heater. What model is it?

I am trying to understand if you are using "geyser" in general terms or as in the product "Geyser". There are smaller electric water heaters and there is a hot water heater pump. My guess is that you have the water heater geyser type from what you are wrote. Please describe a little more.

Dec 12, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Going to add here to speed this up in the case that I cannot answer you later.

If it is indeed a typical electrical water heater, sometimes they have more then one thermostat. One on the top and one on the bottom. If so, they have to be set at the same temp.

the water temp. safety valve will release water if the system is over pressurized, or if the temp is over what it should be for your unit.

It doesn't sound like you have dripping water from the expansion relieve valve, and that water comes out of your valve only when you use the tap. When you try and use your tap water using both cold and hot water at the same time, (a mixer valve or an appliance too) this may cause the cold water to force back hot water back in the line - causing your water heater to over pressurise - then it causes the pressure relieve value to release water.

You now have more information to help you determine what the problem may be. If I am wrong about the type of water heater - post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geyser problems [ 5 Answers ]

My geaserpipe continually drips cold water and causes dampness.How can I correct situation - christo

Geyser overflows all the time [ 1 Answers ]

My geyser is outside and continualy blows (overflows). It is set at 60°C This chews up my electricity. How do I stop it doing this?

Exploding Toilet and a Geyser of Poo [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how this might have happened? I'm thinking a defective or blocked backwater valve combined with a blocked vent.

Installing a 2nd water geyser [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in south africa and just started a plumbing company, I recently installed a 2nd water geyser to a large house just to run there 2nd bathroom what has his/hers basind jacussi and a shower and toilet. The main water supply is 3/4 but reduces to 1/2 straight away and that feeds...

Replacment of geyser element [ 1 Answers ]

When unsrewing the old element it became tandled to such an extent that it is impossible to get it out. What should I do? Can I unscrew the six or seven nuts taking off the plate from the geyser into which the element fits?

View more questions Search