Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tazzy88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Can someone put a lien on my house while the case is pending?
    I have a lawsuit against me in NY that is absurd not only by my standards but my lawyer as well. In the papers they are threatening to put a lien on my house. I was under the impression that this cannot be done until there is a judgement. Can it be done before there is a decision. Also my house is in mine and my wife's name and the suit is only against me.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
    If the property is the subject of the lawsuit then they can put a lis pendens on the property. This is a document that acts as notice to the public that there is a lawsuit that has been or is about to be filed concerning that property, and it acts like a lien. You will not be able to sell or finance the property until the lis pendens is lifted.

If the property is not the subject of the lawsuit then they cannot put a lien on your property until they have obtained a judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Case Pending for 10 years [ 1 Answers ]

My case has been pending for over ten years, and I want to know what to do about it? I applied when I was a minor, and now I am an adult. My dad applied for me.

My case is pending [ 1 Answers ]

I applied n 400 April, 05 2006. I was denied because I did not remember my wedding date. So I appel I got interview again 6 month ago they told me they need to review my paper. Still I'm waiting for answer. I got my green card from my wife she is usa citizen I have 3 kids from her we still...

Pending Adoption/Contestment Case [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, everyone. My husband has a 5 year old son with another woman. The child's mother is trying to have her husband adopt the child without my husband's consent. We have a lawyer and we have contested the adoption. My husband has not seen his son in 2 years on account of her leaving the state with...

Civi case pending [ 1 Answers ]

One of my creditors decied to file suit and when their lawyer contacted me they told me that the debt is two years and when they filed suit they marked that the debt is 4 years. How can they mark the suit for 4 years and then tell me it is 2 years before. When you are served with a summons are you...

View more questions Search