Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Amanda Knox
    Hello:

As you know, she just got convicted in an Italian court for murder...

What surprised me, was the immediate outrage by our media, our leaders and ourselves. Is it because she's white, pretty and has some money?

Now, I don't know if she's guilty or not, but Italy is NOT a backwards country. What is the outrage about?

excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 08:30 AM

I had to Google it Exy because I don't watch the news.

Sounds to me like Amanda's parents are really pulling out the "poor me" card. They're in debt because of this, Amanda is being sued by the man that she originally implicated in the crime and the parents of the girl that was murdered are also suing. How they hope to collect I don't know, but I guess they want to make a statement.

I think the outrage is about the fact that the trial itself took such a long time to come to an end. Also, Amanda and her former boyfriend (who was also convicted) were housed in an overcrowded jail with no air conditioning while the trial was under way. Sorry if I don't get out my violin. ;)
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 9, 2009, 04:34 PM

I heard that she was convicted with questionable DNA evidence and the media revealed prejudicial details about her background before the trial.
    bidingmytime Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

Dec 10, 2009, 06:47 PM

On CNN, they were saying that there was not enough evidence to place Amanda at the crime scene at the time of the murder.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 07:47 PM

As with anywhere that is no the US, all of the safe guards of rules of evidence and rights don't exist.

And of course making he killer look like the victim is not unheard of even in the US.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 07:49 PM

Hello again,

I'm sure they're coming up with reasons... The question I have is WHY? If she was black and poor, would anybody care?

excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

I'm sure they're coming up with reasons... The question I have is WHY? If she was black and poor, would anybody care?

excon
    I would care. But then, I don't watch the news. I didn't even know about this case until I read your post Exy.

She's news worthy. I don't know why certain people make the news and others, in similar situations, don't.

I do know that since working for the flu campaign, hearing what the news is saying about the H1N1 vaccine, I don't trust them.

I used to think that the news always told the truth. They don't. They tell the story that people want to hear. Telling people that the H1N1 vaccine is safe, has been tested, won't turn you into a zombie (yes, a few people actually asked me that) doesn't inspire people to watch. No one wants good news, apparently people want scandals. They want to be on the edge of their seats. They want to hear that a man kidnapped a girl for 18 years and sexually molested her, fathered two children with her. This is the news that sells. They eat this $hit up.

It's sad.

It's wrong.

It's a fact. :(
    bidingmytime Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

Dec 10, 2009, 11:58 PM

That is a good question. It's strange that the media just picks certain cases... It's clear to see why when it's a celebrity... like OJ...

I would guess that Amanda's demographics has something to do with it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for Amanda Sue Myers around the north versailles PA area [ 6 Answers ]

Amanda sue myers has been missing for some time,her mother would like to see her again. Her birthdate is aug.24 1977 she may be in the north versailles PA area. A missing persons report was filed along time ago. Please contact us if you find her or your local police dept. she is missed very much...

View more questions Search